Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

DDR Freak Message Boards Tourney... who's interested?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KMasaki
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: DDR Freak Message Boards Tourney... who's interested? Reply with quote

As you may or may not know, I've organized a few completely-online tournaments on the IGN DDR Boards to much success (well, okay, the Extra Stage tournament was a flop, but that was more due to disinterest than anything else). Alas, the tournaments always have a rather small turnout, and aside from the Final Stage there aren't too many interesting step battles. So, perhaps a larger community (such as this one) would like to participate in this first Message Board Tournament (If indeed this would be the first one)?

Now before you mods come in here and lock this baby up, I decided to post here to get a few responses and the general reaction. Nothing is concrete, nothing has been decided. I just want to see if people would sign up if I set up a tournament on these boards.

Basically, this is how it works:

Single Elimination Bracket Tournament (divisions for set difficulties might be made, depending on the responses recieved).

Three songs, all chosen at random via my super-secret random song generator

Qualifier prior to start of tournament; will be a set foot rating.

Scoring: TenKay Commotion system (Perfects x 2 + Greats +Okays = Score)

Rules:

1) All entrants must be playing on an Official Konami Dance Dance Revolution Mix (Honestly, there's no way for me to tell if you're playing on a bootleg or not, but you know what I mean... support Bemani!) and a pad (does not need to be an Official Konami pad).

2) All entrants must have a digital camcorder, webcam, or a digital recording device of sorts (sound is not necessary, but recommended) and, prior to the deadline, submit a video file for each song onto an FTP or PHP server. Please keep files down to 7 MB so as to be kind to those with weak internet connections (like mine).

3) All entrants will have ONE WEEK to send in their video files. At the end of the deadline, the files will be graded and the winner determined.

4) The vid file should show: a) The screen, b) The person playing the song ON A PAD, and c) The score screen at the end (The last one is probably the most important, as I don't wish to watch the file over and over again, counting perfects because the score screen was blurry).

5) Anyone who does not submit a video file for a song by the deadline will recieve a ZERO for the song. Anyone who does not submit ANY files will automatically be disqualified. Anyone who falsifies their video will be automatically DQ'ed. People who request extensions on deadlines will be considered.

Modifiers:

1) Modifiers are NOT allowed for the qualifying song. Anyone who uses a modifier for their qualifier will be automatically DQ'ed.

2) At the beginning of each Stage, modifiers will be selected via my super-special random mod generator. The available mods: Any speed mod up to 3x, Shuffle, Mirror, Flat, Solo, Sudden, Hidden, Dark, Boost, Reverse.

No mods: If no mods are selected for the Stage, modifiers are then NOT allowed for the brackets. Anyone who uses a modifier during a No mods Stage will be automatically DQ'ed.

All mods: If all mods are selected for the Stage, any of the available mods may be selected. Anyone who does not use a modifier IS NOT PENALIZED.

2 or more mods selected: If two or more mods are selected for the Stage, they are MANDATORY for that song/Stage. If a different mod or additional mod is used, or if a mod is unused, their song score will be penalized a point reduction.

1 mod changed/added/unused: Score/1.5
2 mods changed/added/unused: Score/2
3 mods changed/added/unused: Score/2.5

And of course, the coveted prize... a $20 gift card to Best Buy! Come on, it's not that bad! It'll buy you a new CD or some sort... This is coming out of my pocket, after all!

And if this does get a positive reaction, I need someone to host a PHP or FTP server for the video files. Perhaps one of you mods would be interested...?

I'm just getting some feedback on this. Would you enjoy being a part of this? And would you be able to put some time into this, perhaps once a week to record? And do you even have the equipment to do it? I may change it to digital cameras if people don't have the stuff.

Any questions, comments, or criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Kenji Masaki

DDR Tourney Guy
Now gotta get a memory card... T_T
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
ninjafetus
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would enjoy being in that... I saw the IGN comp. thread, but since I couldn't post, never entered. You're more likely to get a bigger turnout here, though.

Personally, I don't like the PA mods rules, but they seem like they could also be fun, knowing this isn't a uber-serious tourney E1.gif.
EndlessWaltz
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey a tournament that u dont have to pay to enter, im in.
damn know prize either though disturb.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
The Babs
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PuertoRico wrote:

what about recognition amoungst your DDR Freak peers?
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Babs wrote:
PuertoRico wrote:

what about recognition amoungst your DDR Freak peers?

recognition<prize (preferably money)
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
-=+Dikamai+=-
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suuuuure I would participate.. Oh wait.. Yeah... I suck at DDR E10.gif
My bologna has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R, my bologna has a second name it's M-A-Y-E-R.... OHHHHHHH I love to eat it everyday and if you ask me why I saaayyyyyy, "Cause Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A!"

First Song A'd: Sweet Sweet Love Magic-Light, AA'd: Colors-Light, AAA'd: None frown.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

6. PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: DDR Freak Message Boards Tourney... who's interested? Reply with quote

KMasaki wrote:
Now before you mods come in here and lock this baby up, I decided to post here to get a few responses and the general reaction. Nothing is concrete, nothing has been decided. I just want to see if people would sign up if I set up a tournament on these boards.

Well, you've got your responses. Anything you wanted to add can go in the Tournament Discussion forum, it's what it's there for.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: