Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

The DDR Diet...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-=+Dikamai+=-
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: The DDR Diet... Reply with quote

Hello, I am a noobie (To the site atleast.)...

I was looking through the pictures a while back and saw the guy with the DDR diet. Then it hit me, I needed to lose weight too... So about a year later, my mom got another tax refund and bought me an Xbox (Last Friday biggrin.gif). And one of the first games I got was DDR Ultramix. I popped it in, played 1 song, then put it up to play Marvel vs. Capcom 2. So then today, I was feeling really sorry for myself for being fat (I am 250 at age 16 [sad = affirmative])... So today I told my self that from now on, I will lose 500 calories on DDR's workout mode every day and eat a banana, apple, and some grapes for lunch everyday.

I would just like to thank the person in the picute and the people at DDR Freak for posting the picture. If you people wouldn't have done what you did, then I would probably not be inspiried as I am today.

*ALWAYS*,
-=+Dikamai+=-

P.S.-- Sorry for all of the typos (If there are any)... I just got done hitting my 500 mark for the first day happy.gif! laugh.gif laugh.gif
My bologna has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R, my bologna has a second name it's M-A-Y-E-R.... OHHHHHHH I love to eat it everyday and if you ask me why I saaayyyyyy, "Cause Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A!"

First Song A'd: Sweet Sweet Love Magic-Light, AA'd: Colors-Light, AAA'd: None frown.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Regenesis
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! Honestly though, you're better off learning to love the game for its own virtues instead of just looking at it as an exercise tool. When I was at the height of my DDR addiction, I lost 35 pounds, not out of any concerted effort to exercise that much, but because I loved the game and didn't stop playing. Trust me, get addicted to the game, start to watch what you eat a little bit and the pounds will start to melt away.
Contributor
Contributor

2. PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you Regenesis, I started playing for the love of the game. To me, the weight loss was an added bonus. I started playing a year ago and since have lost 30 pounds. Not to mention the amount of people I've met.

love.gif teh left.gif down.gif up.gif right.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dikamai wrote:
eat a banana, apple, and some grapes for lunch everyday.

woah woah, hold up there. ^__^ Just eating fruit for lunch isn't good for you! Did you actually know that it's better to eat a bad meal than no meal at all? If you stop eating as much as you did previously, it will actually slow down your metabolism. Don't go eating a BigMac every day, but at least eat a balanced lunch.

I also agree with Regenesis and Rychan. If you look at it as just an excersise, you may come to hate DDR. Play it at the arcade more; it's a lot more fun.

anyway, good luck ^__^ *huggles*
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eat a variety of foods as long as you are willing to burn it off E4.gif

Avoid the junk food and soda too! Drink water! biggrin.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email
trinsdad
Basic Member
Basic Member

5. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to me very carfully young man.

Eating "Just fruit" is EXACLTY the OPPOSITE of what you need. You need a balanced lunch of Proteins (hamburger patty , chicken, ext.)

Good Fats (YES there arte such things as good fats!) Cheese, Avocado, coconut, Walnuts (walnuts are best nuts since they are a closer ratio of omega 3 and 6's)

High Fiber Veggies....Tomatos Roman lettuce (use a whole fat dressing with this)

At you age and you weigth you need to avoid sugar and grain at all cost.

You will see MASSIVE body fat loss and mucle tone....as well as getting healthier.

Look I wont go into massive detail, sufice it to say that you can live without carbs (bread sugar grains) ...You CANNOT live without protein and fat..biologically speaking.

www.mercola.com is a great place to start to loearn some basics...however Dr. Mercola is WAY out there...so ont jump in too deep until you understand the basics.

Good Luck keep everyone posted.
View users profile Send private message
SaeNoDa
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Look I wont go into massive detail, sufice it to say that you can live without carbs (bread sugar grains) ...You CANNOT live without protein and fat..biologically speaking.

Yeah, what type of crack pot has told you this information?

When we exercise or build muscle, the first place our body goes for energy is to the sugar/carbohydrate stores in our systems. Once it depletes that, it goes to fat, once the fat is gone, it cannibalizes it's own muscle in order to have energy.

Therefore, if you dont eat enough fat, carbohydrates, or sugars, your body is reliant on burning ITS OWN MUSCLE in order to survive. When people lose a lot of weight from low calorie diets, often times, the weight they lose is water weight and muscle tissue. I know from personal experience as I would only eat about 1300 calories/day and play DDR nonstop. I lost a lot of weight, but I still have a pretty high body fat percentage. This is because my body had to eat itself pretty much.

Dear sir, I know how you feel. RedOctane has launched a website to kind of help the promotion of DDR as a weight loss tool (http://www.getupmove.com), and while I think DDR shouldn't ONLY be looked at like that... it's definitely safe to say that you can just have fun playing and knowing that you're exercising at the same time.

When I went from 235 to 140 lbs, my initial 60 lbs required a very minor change in diet. All I did was stop drinking soda (only water), took a multivitamin everyday, and avoided fried fast foods. That's it.

Good luck!
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Syxx
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thumb.gif Thanks red octane mtv for turning this into an excersize, physical fitness, and diet site!! You're the best!!
CourtJester
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to you!
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
Yagyu
Basic Member
Basic Member

9. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As people have previously said, you should learn to love DDR for what it is, with weight loss as an added perk. I have played DDR for almost two years now, but only really seriously for about a year, and in that time, I have lost 60 lbs at 17, which is great, but it came from my love of the game. Over time I eventually wanted to play more and more to lose some more weight, and it was becoming a chore, which I didn't like. I stopped worrying about that and played again for the love of the game and hopefully that will bring me further. But I feel that if you are playing for the only purpose of losing weight, you probably won't enjoy it that much. You should enjoy the game, and take it as an added bonuse. Those are just my feelings though, you should do what you want. Either way, best of luck on your future endeavours. Anyone who makes fun of a person for playing DDR is a fool, it has changed my life and I'm proud of that and still love it.
Corkscrewed
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll just say that the DDR Diet sure beats the tar out of the Atkins Diet, at least in logic.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
akm3
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey congrats to you for using DDR to work on whatever weight issues you may or may not have! (I'm doing it too!)

On the nutrition side of things, however, you obviously need some eduction (understandable, this stuff isn't taught).

If your serious about transforming your body there are a couple other web forums I can suggest that have a ridiculous amount of good info on them re exercise and diet.

[url]www.johnstonefitness.com [/url] (click forums)
www.bodybuilding.com (click forums, on the left)

Good luck to you!
arnoct
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I'm a fatty but I just started seriously playing DDR... Already I've noticed I have more energy biggrin.gif but no weight loss (althouhg my friend has told me I look slimmer, but he's just being stupid)

/robodex two thousand and five
/#bemani on irc.dynastynet.net -- talk about bemani stuff.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
tr0n
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i play a lot of DDR and i wanna gain weight....and i remember someone saying that if i stop eating my metabolism will decrease...how true is that? diet diet revolution.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
-=+Dikamai+=-
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay:

1) I do LOVE DDR
2) I was suggested by my doctor to eat those things everyday.
3) I was also suggested to play DDR for exercise.
4a) I don't like going to the arcade (Getting laughed at = ...no)
4b) Another reason why I dun go to the arcade is that my family can't
afford to go to the arcade... The only person I play with in the arcade
is my best friend, who moved, so now we barely get to do stuff
anymore...
My bologna has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R, my bologna has a second name it's M-A-Y-E-R.... OHHHHHHH I love to eat it everyday and if you ask me why I saaayyyyyy, "Cause Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A!"

First Song A'd: Sweet Sweet Love Magic-Light, AA'd: Colors-Light, AAA'd: None frown.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rychan
Contributor
Contributor

15. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arnoct wrote:
Heh, I'm a fatty but I just started seriously playing DDR... Already I've noticed I have more energy biggrin.gif but no weight loss (althouhg my friend has told me I look slimmer, but he's just being stupid)

[edit]
let's make some sense out of this... (this in terms of my original post).

You are probably not losing weight numerically, however the weight from fat may be shifting to weight of muscle.

When I was at 157 I was pretty chunky and went for a few months where I didn't move from that number, I noticed a huge difference in my legs, they were very toned. After that I started losing weight again.

Last edited by Rychan on Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
-=+Dikamai+=-
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my legs are already toned... Know why? Because of marching band E10.gif.... Maybe that is why I haven't been feeling the burn? E10.gif

wingzerogundamepyon
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you really have 2 main options

a lot of songs that sorta make you sweat and are sorta fast, which will build lean muscle and slow twitch muscle fiber reultin in enurance but not so much speed

less songs that are murderously anaerobic threshold inducing (gotta love my 10s riiight.gif ) which will burn fat like newspaper, and build fast twitch muscle fiber, giving you leg speed, but not so much endurance
Lucavious
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know jack about health technicalities or diets, but I have lost a lot of weight playing DDR, and it was fun.

I got a job at Subway, and I wanted to lose some weight. So I limited myself to like, a footlong sandwich a day, and possibly something to munch on throughout the evening. Nothing big.

I would play Dance Dance Revolution at LEAST an hour a day, if not more.

I'm currently trying to get back on that track, and I detoured a bit a month ago, but during it I lost about 15 lbs in about a month and a half E1.gif

Current Pride: "A" Rythm and Police
Current Mission: Beat Paranoia 290
YmkFX
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just say I was about 140 at age 13 when I first started playing.

I now weigh 135 at age 16.

So I can't really say I've lost weight, but I can say I've kept off whatever weight I had coming.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: