Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Heavy Vs. Oni

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LonerBoi
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Heavy Vs. Oni Reply with quote

What's the difference? I know this might be something dumb, but what is the difference?

I looked in the dictionary to look for "oni", no luck. So I'm going to use the "Jackie Chan's Adventure" Def. "Evil"

What I mean is, isn't Oni suppose to be harder then heavy? Take sakura for ex. on heavy, its feet is 10. But on Oni, its feet is on like 8-9 (forgot).

What does oni have that heavy doesn't? and vice versa
Andre Segarra
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oni actually means something closer to Demon or Devil, but in DDR it just means a different set of Heavy steps originally designed for Oni courses.

Kakumei, Sakura, and Dance Dance Revolution's Challenge steps are actually no challenge when compared to the "regular" Heavy steps.

V, A, Daikenkai, and of course PSMO are all at least a bit harder than their Heavy counterparts.

(and Sakura's oni steps are 9s)
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Prizm
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my understanding, Oni can be one of three things:

1. Harder steps than Heavy
2. Can be a lower feet rating (7-8), but still rated Oni due to many chaos steps. See DDR Max 2 songs.
2. Can be alternative steps to Heavy (usually with chaos steps), though similar difficulty.

Prizm
View users profile Send private message
Draco Flarebane
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oni steps are alternate heavy steps that tend to be easier, however, they are designed to be played in Oni mode in which you play a preset series of nonstop songs with a life bar of 3 segments which goes down by 1 for every step below Great, and increases by 0 - 3 segments after each song (amount recovered is preset into the course)...if you get a less than Great step when you have an empty bar, you fail...the steps being easier than the normal heavy steps is balanced out by this...

Get them at my site (although only one is up right now, I'm working on getting the others up...)
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

4. PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are making this harder than it is.

The "Oni" step pattern, is just that ... a step pattern. Just like any other step pattern (beginner, light, standard or heavy). Some songs has them, some don't, some are just oni steps. It's just another difficulty.
Vivid Member
Vivid Member

5. PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just decided to through another stepchart into some songs. Bam... Oni. Does Oni really mean Demon or Devil? that's messed. With that in mind they should of been harder.
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Oni means Ogre in the Japanese language. E15.gif

My best bet is to go to AAAron about it, though.
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it doesn't...it means Demon/Devil, more of like a very evil being.

Oni steps are in my mind, exactly what they sound like, every single oni step is in an oni course, if you think I'm wrong try to prove me wrong. They can either be harder, easier, a different song all together, or practically the same amount of steps with more jumps (see: A and Daikenkai)
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Project: J-ko
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Oni" is not just another set of steps. It is a different game mode. Draco made it nice and clear. Please to read his post, if you missed it. E7.gif

It wasn't until Extreme that you could select "Oni" songs and steps while not playing "Oni" mode. Maybe that's where the confusion is coming from.
DDRJeffP
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWW.Kitty Girl wrote:
I heard Oni means Ogre in the Japanese language. E15.gif

My best bet is to go to AAAron about it, though.

You're half right. Oni can mean either Demon or Ogre. Take Onimusha, for example. Everybody thinks it means Demon Warrior. Untrue. Samanosuke is fighting the demons, in this case the Genma. He recieved a gauntlet from the Oni, or "the clan of ogres that have been subverted by the demons." In the case of DDR, though, Oni means Demon.
wraith985
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's right - as evidenced by "Onidou" being translated as "Demon Road"

As for Oni step charts - they're not necessarily easier or even on the same level as the originals. Daikenkai Oni, Colors Oni, and Sync Oni are significantly harder. Sakura Oni and B2U Oni are easier. DDR Oni is just different. And on it goes.

Oni REMIXES tend to be easier; Konami apparently had the idea that Oni was going to be enough of a problem that they had to make easier versions of songs to help us out; that obviously didn't turn out to be the case. Now, in Extreme, Phrek is dead on. Even playin Oni, you're not necessarily going to be playing Oni stepcharts - witness Legend Road containing Sakura Heavy instead of Oni, for example. So, the Oni stepchart really is just an alternate difficulty. Think of it as Maniac-2, if you will (along the lines of S-Maniac in 4th)
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
slik
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some songs it makes it somewhat easier, and other songs are harder on oni. And from what I heard it means devil too.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: