Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Anyone else thought of making a DDR Arcade Machine?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey L
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Anyone else thought of making a DDR Arcade Machine? Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

I was tworn apart between modding my ps2, or playing the older mixes on an emulator. I first tried the emulator, but the reaction time was very very bad. Then I tried to mod my ps2, but I almost broke it. It was my brothers, and he got mad because one of the chips fell off and now it only plays PS2 games, not ps1. frown.gif

So none of my plans worked, and I wen't back to playing DDR Max on my POS DPR2, duct taped to a piece of plywood.

Then I saw the Step Mania and Dancing with Intensity. And I got a really good idea.

Im going to get a cheapo motherboard, and a cheapo processor, Im looking into an early model AMD XP, then I will hook up my old GF2ti with Tv output to an old tv. I am going to buy an EMS Ps2>USB adapter.

Then, well what I will make first, is two arcade style light up metal pads. After that I will put everything in a big plywood case, the same size as a DDR arcade machine. For speakers I am going to get some cheapo Car audio ones. And for the green arrows and yellow buttons, I will take apart a keyboard.

More or less make a DDR Machine. The only think I dont know how to make is the lights, so they light up with the beat.

I run SM on my good computer, I tried DWI but I liked the Graphics that SM had, it flowed more, in the menu's and everything.

What do you think I should run on it? Has anyone else tried this? I am going to get most of the supplies on monday... I will keep you guys posted!
View users profile Send private message
Bemanixgamer
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrong topic dude, I bet this'll get locked
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NinJiTSu OLOL!O!1!1
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea! can i steal it? PLIIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSS laugh.gif E13.gif E15.gif nerd.gif E13.gif laugh.gif E7.gif *Extreme excessive smileys*
Basic Member
Basic Member

3. PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry if I put this in the wrong forum, I just figured it would be right because I would be using a "DDR Simulator" As the main system. I dont think it would go right in the arcade section.

I hope a moderator would see it this way too. I would love to share my idea's with others.

And you can steal it if you want, just gives me the edge to impove on your mistakes. E13.gif
NinJiTSu OLOL!O!1!1
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey L wrote:
I am sorry if I put this in the wrong forum, I just figured it would be right because I would be using a "DDR Simulator" As the main system. I dont think it would go right in the arcade section.

I hope a moderator would see it this way too. I would love to share my idea's with others.

And you can steal it if you want, just gives me the edge to impove on your mistakes. E13.gif

meh, i think it'll be fine. ;p
Basic Member
Basic Member

5. PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx, I know someone on a completely different board had the idea, Im going to talk to him and see if he has made one or not.
David XLIII
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats kinda funny because i am attempting the same thing you are right now........im running SM on a HP, P4 1.6 ghz, with 256 ram,i have the cabnet done and might i say it looks just like the arcade, i too am using car speakers but not "cheap-o ones" i dont have a light that flashes with the beat (well i have one in the PC but its small) you can get those at channelbeat.com possibly...i have USB coin slots (oh yeah) the only thing i dont have is metal pads E2.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
David XLIII
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want pics i got em
Casey L
Basic Member
Basic Member

8. PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great! I would love to talk to you over AIM, my sn is "GNR Racer".

If I am not online e-mail me the pics please my e-mail is "caseylacourse@comcast.net"
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

9. PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the correct forum.

As long as you don't make money in using the machine, it's more legal. That might not make sense, but making money off someone elses idea (being stepmania) without permission from the makers (of the program and EACH step file) is illegal.
Basic Member
Basic Member

10. PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx, Yeah, I am not going to go all out and buy a coin register. I just figured, if I am going to make two metal light up pads. And put it in my basement. I might as well make a stand, and get some preey good speakers, (TV ones suck)

One of my big questions, Is how should I paint the outside of the arcade monitor cabinet. I am thinking of everything black. The putting a 12in x 12in picture of the SMMAXX logo. OR get a stepmania logo. I want to put the emphisis on StepMania, rather then DDR.

Also, do you think I should go ddr or regular SDRam? My computer system I am thinking of using is an Athlon XP 1700, And MSI motherboard, 256meg stic of PC133 ram, a 20 gig hard drive. A GF2ti video card with tv out. The monitor will be one about the size of the DDR one, but it depends on prices and what I find. And running a minimal version of Windows 98. I am going to run win98 with everything uninstalled, except for maybe the service pack updates. I will load up StepMania into the startup folder. So When I start it up, it automaticly goes to Step Mania.

I am going to use the onboard sound card of the motherboard, and hook it up to a cheapo car amp. And That will be attached to cheapo car speakers. (But even though they are cheapo, they will kick the stock DDR machine ones!)

Do you think this will run the CVS versions of SM quite fluently?
David XLIII
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you are going a good job (btw , i do not make money off my machine i just put the coin slots theere to make it look more authentic)

basiclly in the arcade the whole machine is black under all the stickers,so yea paint the machine black,i have a 32 inch tv in mine (but it looks smaller because the wood is covering up the sides) have you started already or not because you should go to the arcade and get the exact dimensions of a real machine, i would put 512 DDR ram in just to make sure that it wont crash or anything....i myself am using 256 on win XP .....i dont have mine open up on start up (mainly because i use my computer for many other things......if you look hard enough you can find websites that sellf parts for ddr machines that where i got my green and yellow buttons
Casey L
Basic Member
Basic Member

12. PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm, ok, yeah I am going to buy some of thoes little buttons from a site, and wire them up to a keyboard.

I really dont think I will need 512 megs of DDR, I use that on my main machine, On this I run WinXP Pro, and many 3D Modeling programs (3D Studio max, Auto Cad, Maya) And I never have less then 150 megs left.

Win98 uses about 16 megs of memory. It should run very fas and well with setp mania on a 256meg pc133.

Does anyone else use PC133 ram with Step Mania?

I am going to go to the arcade real soon. There I will take my Digital Camera, and measuring tape, and a pad of paper.

Do you think you could e-mail me thoes pics? That would be great!
[Do V] Chigaimasu
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a friend doing this right now. I think the site was www.miryokuteki.com/ddre. Yeah, that's it. He's got pics and everything.
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too bad that link doesnt work
Devil Warrior
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the memory issue, let me just toss this out.

Crucial (Division of Micron) sells 256 MB of PC2700 for $39.99 from their website. It would make almost no sense to go with with 256 mb of PC133, since from the exact same website they charge $55.99 for 256 MB of PC133. Incase you aren't aware, DDR is cheaper than PC133 currently, unless you either have it already, or are buying from some place trying to get rid of their stock. Going with the extra memory won't hurt it one bit, but you could encounter performance issues with only 256 mb of PC133.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
[S4U] Evo
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David[XL2] wrote:
too bad that link doesnt work

yes it does

you just have to remove the period at the end of the sentence or Click here

View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Casey L
Basic Member
Basic Member

17. PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm, when I bought this computer, or bought the parts, back in 2002, DDR was more expensive, but I see your point. I am going to go with a 256meg ddr chip.

Its too bad that other guy tossed making his light up pads. Im going to buy my parts soon.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: