Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Jealousy.. ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
That guy with the afro...
Trick Member
Trick Member

20. PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flamebait wrote:
RandomUser wrote:
For going with Stepmania, you would need those fancy schmancy adapters. Then there's the case where some adapters need you to press Start, Select, and Up and hold them all at once. I am assuming you would need to pull that off with a standard PS/PS2 controller.

No, and no. You can get pads with USB output built in, and it isn't that hard to hit Start, Select, Up on a pad (either left foot select, right foot start, and a hand for up, or left foot select, toe-end of right foot start, heel of right foot up).

I give you the first one. The business with the pads coming with USB plugs as well as Xbox and PS2 are out there and I forgot about them. But it is impossible to configure the PC to set up with Stepmania on certain adapters that require the code.

You see, these certain adapters are originally set to analog, thereby making it impossible to jump in DDR (hence the requirement for the code in the first place). The code requires you to press Start and Select (which is obviously possible) and the up button on the directional pad, not the analog stick. If you can press up as a directional pad on the pad, why would there be a need for the code?

And also, to add on, I tried configuring the pad with the pad alone. Does not work.
Flameboat
Trick Member
Trick Member

21. PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomUser wrote:
You see, these certain adapters are originally set to analog, thereby making it impossible to jump in DDR (hence the requirement for the code in the first place). The code requires you to press Start and Select (which is obviously possible) and the up button on the directional pad, not the analog stick. If you can press up as a directional pad on the pad, why would there be a need for the code?

See, I thought that it could take the individual directions without problem (hence why the "up" alone would work), but NOT directions that are impossible to get with analog (such as up/down or left/right). I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly sure I've heard about the code being input with the pad.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
...ddr
Trick Member
Trick Member

22. PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should play for enjoyment, not for competition. If you think to hard about winning and that other people get better than you, you always have time to as good as then if they pass you in skill level. I've went through this also and I still managed to get better than them over time. Don't worry...I'm out of shape myself but I can still pwn about 98% of the players in my area.
View users profile Send private message
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

23. PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-6m-49-en-15-EMS%2BUSB2-70-1b5.html]Try this one.[/url]

That's what I have. It works perfectly for all my controllers, and doesn't have any axis issues. It has a very faint lag (.01 sec) with some dance pads.
[[Neon.Blue.]]
Basic Member
Basic Member

24. PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think although people enjoy the game deep down everyone wants to be the best.
I Think..

I do really like it, perhaps too much nerd.gif , but if someone offers me competition on a plat, I'm not one to turn it down..

This is probably nothing to the majority or players here, but I failed 'Sakura' right at the end today and my friend laughed.. so I got back on, played it again and passed! biggrin.gif

Hehe.. ''Don't Get Mad Get Even''
And it wasn't with any mods.. which for me is good because I've gotten WAY too used to 'Boost', really affects my PA when I don't use it E2.gif

I'm 14. I'm A Girl. I <3Heart<3 DDR.. Although Where I Live We Call It Dancing Stage, Or Dance Machines =] I'm Sort Of At The 9 Foot Stage.. A Few Easy 10 Footers Passed. If Yewh Have Any Tips For Me I'll Always Be Greatful.

http://Eat-My-Skirt.bebo.com

<-- Click It E1.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website MSN Messenger
0rion
Trick Member
Trick Member

25. PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[[Neon.Blue.]] wrote:
Yesterday I passed Sakura without speed mods

Quote:
And it wasn't with any mods.. which for me is good because I've gotten WAY too used to 'Boost', really affects my PA when I don't use it E2.gif

Who cares if you use mods or not? Any player that's worth anything in DDR agrees that if you do something, whether you use mods or not, you still did it. Play whatever way you feel most comfortable.

Striker-Ryu wrote:
You should play for enjoyment, not for competition.

I lot of people enjoy playing for the competition.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
[[Neon.Blue.]]
Basic Member
Basic Member

26. PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spelt plate wrong..

Well, I do prefer playing with 'Boost' on, but last time I was playing CSFILSM I drew a crowd (Well, a bunch of chavs blink.gif ) then one girl started mouthing off about how I was ''using boost'' so it didn't count.

I personally have never thought of it as 'cheating' and I still don't but what she said got me thinking- me and my friends all read easier using that, if say there's a song I can't pass without it.. then its sort of an unfair advantage. But hey. My life, not hers and no one else seems to have a problem with it.

Her and her little mates did Afronova on light about 5 times in a row.. god that annoys me.. after telling me I'm rubbish she goes two levels easier..
I mean I've nothing against new players, everyone starts somewhere, but it doesn't give them a right to slag off other players! frust.gif

I'm 14. I'm A Girl. I <3Heart<3 DDR.. Although Where I Live We Call It Dancing Stage, Or Dance Machines =] I'm Sort Of At The 9 Foot Stage.. A Few Easy 10 Footers Passed. If Yewh Have Any Tips For Me I'll Always Be Greatful.

<-- Click It E1.gif
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website MSN Messenger
Trick Member
Trick Member

27. PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore her. If someone is talking smack about you using a modification and they can't handle what you just did, it's saying they're jealous and are desperate to find a flaw/excuse in your play to feel better.

If I were in that situation and I knew the person was horrible, I'd challenge them to a no mod game.
davidyko
Trick Member
Trick Member

28. PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1x bag FTW >> for the no mod game.

But seriously, virtually everyone here agrees that, well, besides Little, mods count, and aren't cheating.

For that matter, I virtually never play on 1x. Not even Max 300, LoM, or Pandy, for that matter. Let alone Bag (I play on 5x.) Does that make me a complete cheat?

On a completely unrelated note, inspired by hearing the phrase "Afronova Light 5 times in a row", I met this kid at this movie theater, who was playing Paranoia Evolution Beginner over and over again before the movie, and he was still playing it when I got out of the movie, and apparently had kept on playing the exact same song for 2 hours. Too bad he still couldn't FC it, though.

Groovestats
David needs more challenges. E10.gif
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
GotACoolName
Trick Member
Trick Member

29. PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidyko wrote:
But seriously, virtually everyone here agrees that, well, besides Little, mods count, and aren't cheating..

As a more unambiguous (is that the correct term to use?) explanation, any modification that does not alter the steps you must perform is fine. Boost does not alter the steps you must perform, so it's perfectly alright. Any mod that does not fit that criterion, such as Little/Cut, No Freeze Arrows, etc., does not count.
Trick Member
Trick Member

30. PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love playing on note.

Doesn't the difficulty increase a tiny bit depending on what song you boost? I mean, I hate boost because it... well... boosts. I never would imagine anybody picking boost over 1.5x. But hey, that's the boat they want to float I guess.
[[Neon.Blue.]]
Basic Member
Basic Member

31. PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm naive.. I've always thought you had to stick to the 'rules?' and do it TOTALLY original or you were rubbish.. no boost.. no speed mods ect. I'm not a very experienced player so thats probably why biggrin.gif

I felt I was doing something wrong by using boost all the time but it just makes it easier for me personally. I've NEVER considered the fact you shouldn't make it harder for yourself then it has to be, and its what you prefer that counts.

I find most songs easier on 1.5 too, but in my head that was 'cheating' too. Bah I'm such a Noob. I can't use it on say max 300 because I can't read them that fast.

I think the main reason I'm 'iffy' about mods is I can't do bag on 1 speed.. only 1.5, which makes me kinda feel ''Ooohh Looooser''.
But yeah I really worry too much about this, I mean there's no offical right or wrong..

<-- Click It E1.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

32. PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really isn't any cheating involved unless you turn little on and jump off. And even that isn't cheating. You aren't arranging the arrows to make the song easier for yourself while getting the same grade and score. The groove radar doesn't change.

The only rules there are in DDR are:
1- You can use the bar if you want
2- You fail if your life bar completely depletes and your score can't increase as fast (a.k.a. you get an E grade)
3- You need a lot of perfects to AA. You also need all perfects and OKs for AAA.
4- Misses and Boos deplete your life

Besides #1, if you somehow break the other rules, you're cheating. That is that, really. The highest grade I got after getting all perfects on Little was a D. That's nothing to be proud of though.

Also, bag on 1x is what makes it a 10. Of course you can't do bag on 1x yet and that's nothing to feel bad about.
[[Neon.Blue.]]
Basic Member
Basic Member

33. PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You, biggrin.gif I don't feel so bad now.
Yeah I tried little on max 300 once and wondered why the highest I could get was a 'C'. Then I realised I wasn't really doing it ''Fair'', I mean I want to pass it properly, not just tell people I did something that I .. well.. didn't laugh.gif

I always use the bar.. except for a few Trick songs and anything under that. I just look stupid waving my arms about E1.gif

And Bag, Its somewhere between my reading it and telling my feet where to go.. they just ignore me disgust.gif I'm too slow or too fast, but I don't want to say I can do it until its on '1', so I guess all I can do is play it more often and gradually decrease speed..

<-- Click It E1.gif
Ian2K3
Trick Member
Trick Member

34. PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been playing for over 5 years now.... i still use training mode to help me with something should i need it (more the itg runs than ddr)
Trick Member
Trick Member

35. PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to learn to do it for yourself, not to make other people feel inferior. I was first introduced to the game by my grandfather. When my friend realized I was playing, he went out and bought every game and went through several mats over time. He was motivated to get better than me in everyway, just as he is with anything. It has always been his goal to make everyone else feel inferior.

So, within a few months, he was able to play nearly all Heavy songs, and when ITG came out, it only took him a few weeks to master most of the songs. When ITG came out I struggled for months before I was even able to do 9s, and eventually in some kind of fluke managed to scrape out Delirium (though I've never been able to do it since).

He lost tons and tons of weight (even though he was already thin) and became very bony. I played ITG 9s on nonstop mode for 2-3 hours everyday for months. I hardly lost any weight, forever remaining the fat arse I am now. The most I ever lost was maybe 15 or 20 pounds but quickly gained it back when I became sick for several months and was unable to play.

Now I have trained myself back up thanks to Stepmania and am capable of most ITG 10s and some 11s. My friend can't do most of the keyboard only songs I can do in Stepmania on foot, even with his Blue Shark's bar, and I NEVER use a bar. I also eventually grew very good at Stepmania on keyboard, but my friend saw this and was forced to download KBMP and work and work until he could rub his progress into my face. When he realized that my job and lifting weights had made my arms stronger than him and DDR had made my legs very muscular he realized he also needed to begin a strict regiment of weight training to try to outdo me.

This same friend got into art after I did, attempted writing poetry after I did, attempted to write a book after I did (achieving only two chapters). Looking back, this friend has devoted most of his high school years to trying to outdo me. But he always did better in school, he has had more girlfriends than me, and eventually he mostly deserted our friendship for his girlfriend. I weathered many a season with doubt in myself, loathing for myself, struggling with depression, and all this time, my friend was working hard as possible to outdo me, thinking I was in some way better off.

As we can see, nothing is achieved in trying to be better than everyone else. What did he win in constantly trying to outdo me? Is it not apparent that I never cared in the first place? So I will continue in trying to better myself. For me. Not for him. Not for some kind of ego boost.

And that's all it takes. You have to work hard and push yourself to the limit, for yourself.

And just look at me now.

View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
[[Neon.Blue.]]
Basic Member
Basic Member

36. PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeeHee your picture's the funniest thing I've seen all day.
Your friend sounds like one of mine.. only I do better than her at school =]

I am doing this for myself, I really want this for ME, it just gives me so much satisfaction to know I've won. E1.gif

<-- Click It E1.gif
ChilliumBromide
Trick Member
Trick Member

37. PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then go win.

The beautiful thing about life is the fact that, if you're better than all your friends, the best way to stay better is to simply continue beating them on a constant basis. It's like practice in disguise.
Da-Risin-Smoke
Trick Member
Trick Member

38. PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Jealousy.. ? Reply with quote

[[Neon.Blue.]] wrote:

It's pretty childish.. I'm now paranoid they're going to get better than me disgust.gif

We're all girls, I think it's partly due to that and the fact I'm errmm ''not in the best of shape'' frown.gif that my stamina is so crap.. but anyways yeah while I'm attempting 10 footers I'd prefer maybe a little support instead of the impression they can't wait for me to fail..

Switch to ITG. While your friends are stuck on 10s, you'll be PAing those 11s and 12s. ITG is great practice.
I eat mop, who?
Haha, you eat your poo.
Groovestats
View users profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Marq(uistadorous)
Trick Member
Trick Member

39. PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0rion wrote:

Striker-Ryu wrote:
You should play for enjoyment, not for competition.

I lot of people enjoy playing for the competition.

Very true!! Whenever I play, I just try to get the best scores I can and I'm constantly trying to up my PA. I rarely just play "for fun", not caring about my scores, cause to me, that's not fun. But I have alot of fun trying to get better at the game.

So remember, being competitive about the game isn't always a bad thing... Unless you take it too far.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: