Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Reverse-Engineering ITG PC

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyt0plas
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reverse-Engineering ITG PC Reply with quote

So, I've been a little bored, and I decided to take a look at the PCK files for the beta.

Looking at pck.idx, I can see a reference to "Songs/In The Groove/Dawn/Music.ogg"

If you look at the bytecode before that reference, you will see:
Code:
D0 0B 1E 00 D0 0B 1E 00 68 57 0C 00 22 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

So, let's try to figure this out. There is most likely an offset for where the file starts. Trying various sections, you won't find anything useful, but if you take the bytes "68 57 0C", and reverse it, you get "0C 57 68". Looking at the pack file (DF968706.PCK), if you go to the offset 0C5768, you get a string starting with "OggS". That string just happens to be the beginning of a .ogg file. Hmm, some cooincidence.

Since 22 isn't going to be the length, and we've already figured out what 68570C is for, the other part is most likely going to be a length of some sort.

Reverse the bytes again (1E0B0D - isn't endian great?), and copy that many bytes to another file. Hmm, it seems to play fine E1.gif

So, let's try another file...
Utopia's music has the bytes "716871" in front of it. Reversing this one should be easy E1.gif

Hmm, what's that... At offset 716871, there's another "OggS". Repeating the procedure from before, the bytes "7E 59 1E 00" are assumed to be the length, and they reverse to 001E597E. Selecting that many bytes, and placing them in a new file shows that this works as expected.

So, there you go. I believe that's all you need to extract any file you want from the .pck files. I don't have time to write up a utility, but it's not too horribly difficult.
View users profile Send private message
Kalek
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you test this?

The PCK packers/unpackers haven't worked with ITG PC.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cyt0plas
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I extracted the two ogg files, and they play fine.

I suppose I can try an image file, too. I'll do that in a few minutes.
cyt0plas
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I extracted a .png from it.

http://rapidshare.de/files/17072119/test.png.html

This upload most likely falls under fair use, given the following fair-use tests:

1) The infringement is done for the purposes of furthing reasearch about a program.
2) The portion and relation of the use: This is one image, and is a very very small excerpt. It's also not an integral portion of the game itself, the game could function quite well without it, and it has no market in and of itself.
3) The effect on the market. I can't conceive of a case where someone would not purchase the game because they saw one group selection image.

(See http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Copyright/principles.html for more info on fair use)

Mods, if you still find this unacceptable, feel free to delete it.
zombiejesus9001
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its alright to post or talk about it cause there is a post going on about hacking and repacking the itg ps2 disc so i guess its all fair
Kalek
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its this easy, I wonder why everyone is having such a problem extracting things using the regular .PCK unpackers...

It shouldn't be hard to make a program to pack/unpack things. Its already been done for the PS2 version.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Naota3k
Basic Member
Basic Member

6. PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one that completely doesn't understand this at all?
Kalek
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things are compressed it looks like frown.gif

I just tried to get the Static.ini out and I followed everything. It didn't work.

I'm going to try to put in a song of my own now.

EDIT: crashed...
xbskid
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's already an unpacker that somewhat works with the .pck files from ItG PC, though it only pulls out .pngs and .oggs, and some .669 files (Which are, I believe, not actually .669 files!).
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> In the Groove All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: