Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Simfile Legality Question

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joel Stud?!
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Simfile Legality Question Reply with quote

Ok, I'm not asking for people who have a guess or think they know what they're talking about. I'm looking for people who actually know their stuff when it comes to copyright law and such. My question is simply this;

a- Is it legaly permissible for me to obtain and use simfiles, including mp3's of the songs, for songs that I have on a DDR/Beatmania/ITG/whatever game I own? I'm assuming the answer is no.

b- Are there any sites which offer legally downloadable songs for SM other than the official SM site itself? I am once again ssuming no.

This is something that I've been curious about for a while but haven't gotten any straight answers to. If there's another thread I missed please point me in the right direction, but I honestly found nothing.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Synaesthesia
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you have to worry about the eff bee eye knocking down your door, unless Arch0wl's been posting from prison this entire time.

G_G
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Joel Stud?!
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not, it's just something I've been convicted about. I've already gotten a "No!!!! Don't do it!!!!" form Randumb, and I don't care. I don't want your opinions on it, and I don't want to know if I can get away with it. I want to know if it's legal.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Synaesthesia
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(9:12)I actually just deleted my stepmania library 20 minutes ago.

Shoot first and ask questions later? From what I have heard, the idea is that you supposedly already own the license to play the music whether it's in the form of a CD or game or whatever. If you don't, then you're a horrible person for violating the idea of "copyright."

As for your 2nd question, any artist that freely distributes their own music online is fair game for SM use. So you could just go to KeeL's site, find a song, and go crazy with it.

G_G
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Laundry
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was a terribly stupid decision.

But anyways...

[21:39] randumb lol: Are simfiles legal?
[21:40] arky 0x: Nope.

There you have it. He's pretty smart.
AFAD
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twg sup wrote:
I think that was a terribly stupid decision.

But anyways...

[21:39] randumb lol: Are simfiles legal?
[21:40] arky 0x: Nope.

There you have it. He's pretty smart.

yay for piracy >_>
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: