Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Tell your story about how you started playing DDR...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellsonlyrose
Basic Member
Basic Member

500. PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing...the summer of 6th grade. That was about 3 1/2 years ago. So, My grandmother had taken my sister and I to some barn festival or something, and there was a ddr there. I played three songs on light, and got an A on them all. Nobody would believe that I'd never played before. nywys, I asked the lady there how much that had cost, and she said a couple thousand dollars. Me ,being a kid, didn't knwo that they had PS2 versions at the time, so I asked my mom, who said no... E2.gif Then, 7th grade christmas, my aunt got me DDR Extreme. I was sooooo happy! E4.gif
I keep playing because It's fun, moving your body to the rhythm, and I love the music, so it works!
kacheek41
Basic Member
Basic Member

501. PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: my story of ddr Reply with quote

frust.gif I always wished i kould be an expert at it eversince i walked by a machine in the mall one day and saw two teenagers owning a 9 footersong on heavy and alot of people were surrounding the machine and watching. one day i tried it at an arcade but never really got nto it until later tht year. I started on light and eventually worked up to mi 9 footer heaviness i am today laugh.gif E7.gif laugh.gif

Now, i keep playing for thefun ,exercise and the popularity.
a croud surrounding u and compleminting u about owning a 9footer heavy song is one of the best parts about ddr frust.gif
Aprild334
Basic Member
Basic Member

502. PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had always seen the arcade machines but didn't actually try it until my friend had it on ps2 in 2005. Oh man, what a laugh she got out of that! Umm I play the arcade in the mall sometimes.
View users profile Send private message
oneforJJ
Basic Member
Basic Member

503. PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one day, one of my friends brought over the Mario Mix. since i'm a big fan of Nintendo, i decided to try it out. it turns out i was half-decent at it, so i decided to purchase it while they still had them in stock. soonafter, i bought SuperNova and i have liked DDR since...
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
neodude237
Trick Member
Trick Member

504. PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing 3 years ago in Jan of 05. My friend brought his modded Xbox over at a party, and happened to have Stepmania for it, and I thought it was pretty neat, but never got a chance to play much. My birthday came up a while later, and I played my first Max 2 when my friends showed me, and I failed Candy Heart miserably on light. But after a while, I got Stepmania on the PC after realizing it was not only for the Xbox, and started to really enjoy it. Then I started playing in an arcade passing light, then a couples months later moving to standard, and then passed Shooting Star on heavy on Stepmania (w/ a joy converter) and then went on to be even better biggrin.gif
Basic Member
Basic Member

505. PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been playing since about august 2007 so im sorta new.. but i started playing at my cousins.. with my brother and they never let me play cause i sucked.. maybe played once or twice.. but i remember seeing people beast it up in the arcades and i started hearing about tourniments so i decided i wanted to start playing and become a master at it..

so august 2007 i bought my first DDR game [dance dance revolltuion extreme 2] i think it was and now im starting to break into 9 footers which im deeply happy about.

what keeps me playing today is the fact its healthy and will keep me fit as well as the challenge and my goal to become one of the best

Live hard
Die harder
Play hardest
View users profile Send private message Send email
jeremiecbj
Basic Member
Basic Member

506. PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first never took DDR much seriously, in fact I thought the concept was kind of silly. The local arcades in Quebec closed and about 7 years later me and my friend found out that those in charge of the former arcades actually changed location about 30 minutes away!

Me and my friend went there and I saw him try in the groove 2 and I actually thought it looked pretty fun, doing those movements and the selection list. I eventually gave a try on a level 1 song and it went well but then I messed up on a level 2. A week later we went back and played together and I pretty much got a hang of it and I finally played by myself and managed to do well at level 4 but then I moved to Alberta and I knew a DDR machine was nearby. I must admit I greatly prefer DDR but that mostly because of the music selection.

I still play once in a week or two and I have beated a few songs on level 5 (Only Dynamite Rave & Healing Vision Angelic Mix) and I try to improve.
joshdogg
Trick Member
Trick Member

507. PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: haha Reply with quote

I always used to see people playing 3rd mix koreanv2 at cyberstation. I thought it was stupid. But one day I ditched class, this back in 2000 or so...well I ditched class with a friend and went to the mall and we played for hours and after that day I was hooked

View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dj-Luminus
Trick Member
Trick Member

508. PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I first saw DDR on Even Stevens back when I was in 7th grade, which was about 2001. I had played a couple other dance games like Bust A Groove and Parappa the Rapper and when I saw DDR on TV, I was like "What the hell dance game is that?!".

Later that summer I went with my family to Universal Studios in Florida and after some rides we walked in an arcade and that's when I saw a DDR US Mix machine and some people playing Standard (Basic/Light). I hopped on after them and tried beginner, El Ritmo Tropical was my first song. I was hooked after that and probably played for another hour or so.

As soon as we got back to Atlanta I looked up Dance Dance Revolution on the internet, found ddrfreak.com, and a bunch of arcades near me. I started on 3rd at the arcade, but didn't really play that much until MAX2 came out. Eventually I got most of my friends to play DDR and we all got very good.

I still occasionally play now because DDR can be a good workout and it reminds me of a lotta good times I had with friends.
Trick Member
Trick Member

509. PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the day after I got married when we were at my cousin's house saying bye to everyone before we would leave for our honeymoon. My younger cousin (17 at the time) was playing in his room. We watched him for a few songs as I kept thinking to myself, "I can do that!". It just made snese right away. Sure enough, I started doing some songs and did pretty well. Then all of a sudden he started giving me 6 steppers and I died real fast. Was hooked though.

2 years later, I finally got all my DDR stuff (never fogot that feeling) and now I'm doing 8 and 9 footers! Hopefully will be doing 10 footers in the next few months. (I'm 29 now)
yukihime
Trick Member
Trick Member

510. PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* When did you first start playing DDR? (and how long have you been playing)

Been playing for about 2 weeks so, yeah, I'm a total noob and got into the game very late.

* What got you to start playing? (initial interest) What got me started?

You all are really gonna laugh at this one - I picked up on ubersale that lame DVD with the fake mat (not attached to anything, no scoring) game that has Roxie talking between each song. She drove me nuts, but I fell in love with the idea of DDR, ran out, bought a PS2 and SN2 bundle. Now I have Max2 and want every version I can lay my hands on!

* What made you keep playing? (why do you like playing currently)

The challenge. I may never get past beginner mode (I'm 53 and not particularly fleetfooted), but if I can start getting alot less great, ok, almost and boo and start getting more AA and AAA I'll be happy. I love the idea of competing against myself to see what I can do.

It's also a kind of therapy for me because I have meniere's disease and balance is a big thing - and at least part of your balance comes from your eyes and feet. So until the MM takes my hearing completely or my poor old arthritic knees give out totaly, I plan to DDR as much as possible. I LOVE 99% of the music, it's moving, it's exercise and it's fun!
Wordhiezel
Trick Member
Trick Member

511. PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cousin introduced me to DDR back in 2001. My first mix was a 5th Mix at Holyoke, MA and to this day I hold 5th mix in high regard not only because it took away my DDR virginity, but it's a great mix overall. It wasn't until MAX2 came out in Springfield, MA that I actually played to progress in skill. I only had DDRMAX CS at home with a cheap flimsy pad so I hated playing at home. Didn't reach Maniac difficulty until shortly after Extreme came out and as soon as I purchased an Ignition Pad, I played at home everyday. I've been on and off with DDR for sometime now (currently devoting my Bemani time to get good at the epically difficult IIDX games). As of today I'm making a true attempt to get back into the full swing of DDR, but Western MA is almost completely dead for DDR, and SN2 without e-amuse really blows. That feature alone would motivate me to play DDR everyday. I also need a metal pad since my Ignition 3.0 is breaking down.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website Xbox Live Gamertag
Richlove
Trick Member
Trick Member

512. PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing DDR when I saw a modified Max Cabinet in our local putt putt golf and games. I was 19 then. I started playing and by the 2nd hour I was up doing standard songs. I went home and bought disney mix and a ghetto mat.

Since then I played up till about a year ago. My best accomplishment was being able to pass Max 300 with an A on heavy. We had a small community of DDR players in jacksonville and Wilmington, NC. Alas I have moved on from DDR. I just finished medical school last Saturday and will be starting residency in 3 weeks so no more DDR for me.

It's been great though. I wrote a grant for some West Virginia schools at one point to help get DDR in the gym programs. I encourage all of you to keep playing! It's awesome E13.gif

I still have my self-built metal pad sitting in my basement. *sniff*

Make money surfing Google! Last Paypal Deposit: $78.03: http://www.mysearchfunds.co.uk/apply001.asp?Friend=73958

View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
NinjaPsion
Basic Member
Basic Member

513. PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing seriously yesterday. If you can't figure out from that I've been playing a whopping one day! I always thought it was cool to watch people played and even tried it once. My first time about 2 years ago was, well... interesting. I was always too embarrassed to play in public because I sucked (and still do, though not as bad). Yesterday I saw a copy of Universe 2 in a pawn shop for $40. I asked my dad and he said not. We got home and it turns out my report card had come in the mail. Because I passed I got $50 from a trampoline I had sold earlier in the year. I immediately went to the pawn shop and got the price down to $34. I brought it home and loved it.
Arcanine
Basic Member
Basic Member

514. PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see... I've been playing since I was about 10 years old. I'm 17 now, so that'd put it at around year 2000. Uhm, I played it at first because I saw one person playing it, and they were having a blast, so I gave it a shot.
Hah, my first song was Daikenkai on Beginner.
I keep playing because it's just amazingly fun for me. I play seriously, but at the same time, I just have fun with it, and throw in some crazy things that usually end up causing me to either fail a song or pass it with flying colors.
Haha, either way, it's really fun, and it's fun to try new songs and hear new things and get better at the same time. E1.gif
~XTREME~
Trick Member
Trick Member

515. PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see, i first got intrested in DDR when i saw it this arcade called the butterfly when i was 12. I believed it was an extreme mix. I tried playing it once on beginner and failed miserably. LoL riiight.gif . Then this other kid that was younger than me started playin and was doing way better. disgust.gif . I wanted to be better than him so bad. So a year later i finally discovered the console versions and got ddr um3. The DHL delivery man just delivered the games to game stop and i was excited i got the first copy from there. E1.gif . I still had to wait a day 2 play. disturb.gif . First song i played was Body rock, and my sis looked like she was havin a siezure because she was stopin everywhere playin break down! laugh.gif . Took me a few months to start playin on Heavy. Now I love DDR/ITG to death! I want every mix made for the consles especialy the ones with Look to the Sky.
E4.gif
WakaLaka08
Basic Member
Basic Member

Location: Why is everybody looking at me.....uh.....uh.....29!
516. PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing about 2 years ago when I was 11 because I was going 2 my cousins house and they had just got it for easter. I knew the song get busy by sean paul and asked if they knew it and it was a coincidence that the song was on extreme 2 they got. so I got into it and got it for my b-day around 3 weeks later. I practiced my hardest to make it to heavy and challenge and was so interested I later got konamix, max, max 2, supernova, supernova 2, extreme, and disney channel edition. I played them all for days after I was bored of extreme 2. soooo..yah Im an addict out of visitin my cousins.
Waka Laka, Dive, Break Down, Midnite Blaze, Monkey Punk, Love Shine, Love Love Sugar, Only You, Dream A Dream, Speed Over Beethoven, Candy, Silent Hill, Honey Punch, Flowers, True Love, Sweet Sweet Magic, I Do I Do I Do, Cant Stop Fallin In Love, My Only Shining Star, My Summer Love, Rainbow Rainbow, Doll, Babys Tears, Morning Glory, Tierra Buena, Dynamite Rave, Moon, Nijiiro, Cartoon Heroes, Crash, 1998, Kiss Kiss Kiss, Put Your Faith In Me, Miracle Moon, Polovtsian Dance And Chorus, Colors
shawn112
Basic Member
Basic Member

517. PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was may 21st 2007 i got supernova for my birthday
my best friends Del, Steven, James, and Nick all played and we always hung out but i just never played and one day i said alright ill start playing and i did. so its been a little over a year, im not very good ive only AAA'd a few songs AA'd a lot though blink.gif
Szalkow
Trick Member
Trick Member

518. PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing Flash Flash Revolution in 10th grade. I got rather good at it, and while I was familiar with the DDR series at the time, I hadn't tried it.

When I got to college and had a lot of free time during the first week, I tried StepMania. One day I looked up USB-compatible DDR pads on eBay and bought some on a whim.

What really did it was meeting a guy in my English class the next week who was a DDR pro. Apparently he even owned an ITG2 dedicab and kept it on-campus. He hadn't played much recently, but I pestered him to let me play and we began weekly sessions.

In the first three months of playing I was able to pass 7's and 8's. My playtime tapered off as my schedule went crazy, but by the end of the year I could S-rank (similar to AA) all 7's and most 8's. I haven't played much since then since I only have some foam pads.
DDR_Europa
Basic Member
Basic Member

519. PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started playing in 1998 and i was about 7. I saw my sister playing the game and decided i wanted to play. But their is a major lack of home console version games of DDR over here in Europe so i just started playing regulary on june 20th E1.gif

UP-AND COMING
View users profile Send private message Send email
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 26 of 28

Jump to: