Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Tell your story about how you started playing DDR...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

0. PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Tell your story about how you started playing DDR... Reply with quote

Since this is a pretty broad and reoccuring topic. We are going to put it into story mode, and throw up a sticky. And here's what we want to know.

• When did you first start playing DDR? (and how long have you been playing)

• What got you to start playing? (initial interest)

• What made you keep playing? (why do you like playing currently)

More questions might be added as necessary to what sort of threads arise. This will do for now. So let's hear your tale about your first time!
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost my DDR virginity in the fall of 2003. I had always wanted to try the game, and I slept over at a friends house and her brother showed me how to play. My first song was Sana Morette Ne Ente on light, which I whored to death and kept failing miserably. I tried a few more times after that at the arcade, but I didn't start playing avidly until 6 months ago when I got UM2 for my birthday. I never thought I'd be a heavy player, but I'm just starting to break into 10 footers now. I got addicted, and the gameplay plus the exercise kept me going. I used DDR not only to keep me entertained, but to get fit and lose weight as well. Now I play for at least an hour a day. Countless AA's, three dance pads and 40 lbs later I still look forward to starting my day, every day, with a round of DDR.

BTW, Sana Morette Ne Ente was my first AAA on UM1 E13.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God a thread like this was made so we don't have to go searching through the pages. nerd.gif

I started playing DDR in December 2003, so logically, that would be 1 year 8 months. I'm hopeing to play this for as long as my muscles, brain and bones can take laugh.gif

What got me to start playing? Well, kinda a long story.

My older sister about 5-6 years ago was a jazz dancer. I remember driving with my dad to her dance studio to watch her learn the daily new moves. At first i was annoyed because i wanted to be home and watch TV or what not (remember, i was about 12-13 y/o). So, when recital night came up, i would volunteer to stay home and not watch the routines. Few months later, when she was done with her full dance routine recitals at huge buildings, and came back with the video recordings of her dances, i became oddly intruiged by them. I found the cheorography to be astonishing and pretty cool.

At that point, i wanted to do some type of dancing, but i was too embarrassed and didn't know what to do. Well, jump ahead some years to 2003 in December. I'm at my best friends New Years Eve party and my other best friend, James, pulled out his DDR for Xbox. I was intimidated at first because i thought i'd be hard and i would make a fool of myself. So, i tried it. I still remember, to this day, that Tsugaru on Light was my very first song riiight.gif Sad, i know. If it weren't for James, oddly enough, i would have never been into DDR and never been here... i think.

What makes me keep playing? One, it reminds me of the built up anxiety i had for danceing and i feel like i can let go and have fun while i play DDR. Also, i STRONGLY love the challege, the music, the steps, the forums created for it and everything about it.

I'm pretty sure that's everything for now.

*Formerly known as That DDR guy at Gr. Lakes*
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
countess
Basic Member
Basic Member

3. PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing DDR about this time last year when someone (can't remember who...) got Dancing Stage EuroMix and then my friend who was pretty good at it decided to make me play so that she could laugh at me.

I played to be laughed at because it was funny and then I kind of lost contact with the friend so I convinced my mum to buy it for our PS2.

I also really liked watching people play it at the arcade because, well, it's cool.

I play now because it's fun, it gives me something to do in town, my boyfriend has a thing with watching chicks play it and I like getting better so I can show off biggrin.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
Gl1tt3rn1nj4
Basic Member
Basic Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I haven't been playing for a long time... my friends are DDR fanatics, so whenever I was at their house, they'ld give it a shot... I tried a few times but never passed. I was so determined to do well on it, I made my mom get me Ultramix 2 and a pad for Christmas (although I got it in January). So at the beginning of January I stayed up for a few nights and got it down really quickly. Unfortunately, I got some wierd lung disease for a few months and couldn't play, then it cleared up, and I got back on the pad... and was able to play standard <3
So I've been playing for 7ish months now, even though it's techniquelly 4... and I'm starting on Heavy. I keep playing DDR because it's a fun way to let out my stress, and keep healthy. I also suck at most sports, so I'm glad I found one I can really do well at ^^
Thank you.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Zanshin
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started for real, almost exactly two years ago. I'd known what DDR was long before then, having seen it in arcades, seen people play it, and even read about it in the newspaper. I'd always wanted to try it out, but was always too embarrassed to. So, after going to Gameworks in Woodfield, IL, I saw some guys playing it and was like, 'Okay. I'm getting that for PS2.'

Talked to my dad, and with a short bit of convincing, I landed myself DDRMax and the Konami Soft Pad. I then realized how fun it was. That's pretty much the only reason I play now, for fun. Well, that and showing off.
geo_android
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did you first start playing DDR? (and how long have you been playing)

I can't remember. It was like, somewhere in 2001 or 2002. I stopped playing until I got into it in August 2005.

What got you to start playing? (initial interest)

Well, I only had a PS1, and there weren't really any other good games except DDR.

What made you keep playing? (why do you like playing currently)

Two words: Cool songs.
View users profile Send private message
Nomislegend
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started at my girlfriend's house. It was one of the PS1 DDRs I forgot though. I played and sucked.

I saw DDR Extreme at Best Buy and bought it. I went home played beginner (didn't know beginner wouldn't really help u out) I sucked still (yes i used to be really bad) and then I played lesson mode which really helped. I then moved to light then standard.

I still play because it's fun and I'm addicted to it. I just can't stop playing until my whole shirt is covered in sweat.

My little DDR life story...

-Nomis
View users profile Send private message
cyanide11
Basic Member
Basic Member

8. PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: In the begining... I know it is corny but who cares! Reply with quote

I started playing DDR when I was eight at my cousins house and I LOVED IT! E1.gif . but when I had to leave I yelled at my mom frust.gif and I got grounded E2.gif but I went to my friends house and they had DDR too! but untill I was 12 I got my own DDR game (DDR Extreme). Then I turned out to be really good E4.gif .
Most stupidest thing I've seen on DDR: My brother Playing It!
View users profile Send private message Send email
Xayro
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing since October 2004 nonstop. So about 9-10 Months now.

What got me intrested? A few years ago (I lost count now), an arcade out of town just got a new MAX2 machine, it just came out at this time. I watched people play on heavy and freestyle. I never built up the courage to look like a dumbass on it though.

About the beginning of October 2004... My arcade in my town got DDREXTREME. I waited a couple weeks before I got on it though. Being worn out from beginner (x.x), I was like... damn.. this is fun.

Now? I play on heavy and getting close to passing 10s (besides Sakura and bag... easy crap). What keeps me playing? Hell if I know... Its still just fun.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
ts
Basic Member
Basic Member

10. PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing since 2001, but partly because I'm too young to drive (started at age 10; now 14) and don't have a home version I don't play as frequently as I should. My lackluster technical scores show that (no AAAs, only a few Heavy AAs with lots of Greats, no 11s passed yet in ITG).

I first heard about it on TechTV, intrigued by the exercise prospect it presented, and started out with 3-footers on an arcade 4th Mix months later. Took me forever to get out of the comfort zone that was the Basic difficulty, though... I ended up getting Konamix for a while so I could improve, and I ended up passing my first 9 (Dead End) on it.

What keeps me playing? Not sure... just easier to enjoy than trying to sit down at Halo or something else for hours. Crowds, perhaps. Maybe some of the music... I like stuff from both DDR and ITG. ITG's been my main motivation to improve so far with its harder step sets.

Last edited by ts on Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Genesis0560
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey...just introducing myself again..if you wnt more info about me just click the link in my sig..

anyway, ive seen DDR for a long time, but the first time i started playing was a little more than a year ago. My friend got MAX2 with a cheapo dance pad. HE didnt care for it much, i thougth it was fun, but his house was shaky, so you couldnt really move far beyond begginer. That sucked, so I just stopped playing.

A few months ago, My friend asked me to film him playing at the arcade. I decided to give it one more try. I was hooked. I was playing on light, but i dont think ive ever had that much fun playing a video game. I NEEDED to play ddr all the time. I even put a little set up in my basement (Its nothing special, just a 20' TV with a ps2, all the ps2 US mixes including ITG, and an ignition). Ive managed to play at standard (6 foot range mostly)

What keeps me playing? Well, Ive never been good at physical activities, so it felt good to be able to do something. Its also a plus to be able to beat most of my friends at a game for once. E1.gif
Backbeat
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing DDR when my uncle the geek lent me the game last year...I only really got serious about it about six months ago when I realized my natural skills (fast legs, a good sense of rhythm) meant I could really be good at it. As to why I like it, from the other thread:
I wrote:
DDR attracts people because, frankly, dancing is fun. People like to move rhythmically, put their bodies in motion and even occasionally start commotions. DDR adds a flavor of challenge, so that instead of simply doing something that's fun you're doing something that's fun and feel like you're accomplishing something, the same feeling of triumph that attracts people to every other video game. The excercise and health value of it don't hurt either, or the ability to show off to random people in arcades.

Anything. Everything. Something. Nothing. It's the thing.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website Yahoo Messenger
Thegutter
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing DDR June of 2004...it's been over a year since I first started...lol! My friend, Bill, was talking to me one night in my basement, and since I'm a big fan of trance, I had some of my music playing, and out of nowhere Castles in the Sky came on...well right out of nowhere Bill mentions how this is a DDR song...me of course not even knowing what the heck he was talking about...lol! So I ended up going to his house a few days later and we sat down and started up Ultramix and played Castles in the Sky and I was hooked from that point...needless to say, when I found out there was actually an arcade game in real life where you use your feet, I was thrilled to try it, and a few days later, I went with a few friends out to the DDR machine at the college I was attending (Not even realizing it was out there...) and I was hooked at that point. I'm a drummer, so rhythm and beat to me is instinct, hence why I caught on to DDR very quickly. I just love the game, plus it really helped me get over an ex I had at the time, and even helped me get in better shape...although since I've been lacking off and not playing as much as I used to, I'm starting to lose my stamina and muscle...*sigh*
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PARANOiA -Respect-
Trick Member
Trick Member

14. PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my cousin came home from japan, with ddr before it was the US even heard of it. I remember Boom Boom Dollar.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger
OniDo
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first started playing DDR on March of 2004 when my friend Daniel invited me to come to the mall with him and his two friends and his GF, we were going to hang out at an arcade called Tilt, in Bayshore mall in Eureka CA. I got there and he was playing DDR Extreme (8th Mix) and I can't really remember what song he was playing and it looked fun and I started playing, I sucked so bad, of course, and I thought it was really hard and I was getting kinda annoyed with it. But, I played it more and more and I got freaking addicted, I think Daniel was getting annoyed at how many times I wanted to go back to tilt.

I still play it becuse it's still as fun as it was a year and a half ago. Plus, almost all of the music I love.

Longest String: 3495 (So close to 3500.)
Favorite Song: Dynamite Rave (Long Version)
Favorite Stepchart: MaxX Unlimited {Heavy}

FlashFlashRevolution S/N: Megalo.......Send me a Challenge.
View users profile Send private message Send email Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Quickz
Basic Member
Basic Member

16. PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i started playing DDR about a month and a half ago. So i guess you can call me a "n00b". Some of my friends played it and it looked interesting so eventually i started playing. I'm currently playin on Heavy steadily. I have 3 Heavy "AA" so far. They are Let the Beat Hit Em!, IRRESSITABLEMENT, MY Summer Love ( only 14 greats on MSL). I look forward to getting a lot better at this game and getting my first "AAA" eventually.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Centric
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been playing DDR for exactly one year. It started when I went over my friend's house and he was playing DDRMAX 2 on PS2. I said can I give it a try and of course I sucked, but I liked playing. About a week later I got DDRMAX 2 packed with the Konami pad and started playing.

Ive been hooked ever since, some people think that im great for the amount of time ive been playing (I can get an A on just about all 9-footers) but I know one guy who can get As on the Max Series and he has only been playing 7 months E19.gif
xxjustapunkxx
Basic Member
Basic Member

18. PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly 43 days ago, Started at the arcade and got hooked.

My friend was like play with me on this game, Played on lite on paranioa and sucked buttocks, then played on A, and totally got a B, It was frick fun, Then I played on Butterfly and got a B as well. But I picked up pretty fast on the game.

There is a couple of reason why I love the game, The cardio work out, The music, and the way you have to keep the beat and keep in step.
Bolt-Edge
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see, here comes a flash back

It started in the summer of 04, I think it was June. I was in camp and everytime we went to an arcade, there was DDR. Everyone would hoard around it and watch this lame jock kid do light mode. At the time, I had a crush on this girl in the camp and she was probably the second best there (also light mode). So I thought, "maybe if I get really good at it, she would like me." So I ask my friend who can play heavy if I should start playing. I would go to his house and practice until i got my first pad (tx-1000...). I kept playing on the tx-1000 until i hit heavy mode and it started breaking on me. Thats when I got my Cobalt Fluxes. Unfortunately, things went downhill from there for the girl i liked. We got into a fight because she kept saying how addicted I am to DDR and how im not normal. Thats when I couldnt stand it anymore and forgot about her. Now I have my own motivation to keep playing. I want to spread that word that I have the power to do anything! r04r!
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 1 of 28

Jump to: