Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Affronova an Indian song?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elektro Tal
Trick Member
Trick Member

20. PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orion is sung in okinawan japanese. Cmon, people, get some culture=)
View users profile Send private message
Quazar
Trick Member
Trick Member

21. PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think Exotic Ethnic is Egyptian-inspired. I've always associated the sitar with Egypt. When I think Indian, I think of Tunak Tunak Tun. (the intro part.)

And I think Red Chrono was trying to say it sounds Arabic. The Arab world is mostly Muslim. It's not ignorance, Elektro Tal. And calling me ignorant for thinking Exotic Ethnic is Egyptian is... well.... ignorant. The sitar sounds very Egyptian to many people, not just me. The song makes me think of pyramids and camels. :-P

Now, let's talk about ReVenge songs since we're on the subject:
Afronova - African
Orion.78 - Japanese (Okinawa)
Matsuri Japan - Japanese
Sakura - Japanese
Exotic Ethnic - Egyptian (I'm sticking with this one)
Tsugaru - Japanese
bag - Celtic

That's what I think anyway...

Quazar
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
nick.
Trick Member
Trick Member

22. PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elektro Tal wrote:
orion is sung in okinawan japanese. Cmon, people, get some culture=)

And how the heck are we supposed to know this, don't get mad at people for asking questions. Thats how you learn stuff, by asking questions.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
taQo
Trick Member
Trick Member

23. PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing on Afronova that's Indian is the part where the guy goes "bbrrruuuaaaahhhh" with a strong roll of the tongue, it's an indian war chant type thing, you use it when you're calling on your enemy to fight. I know dis cuz I listen to alot of Indian music. E15.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Ciaratha
Trick Member
Trick Member

24. PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am taking sample of EE and orion to dance class and I know they can discern it.
Bryan Voorhees
Trick Member
Trick Member

25. PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exotic Ethnic seems a little more egyptian themed to me than indian.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Elektro Tal
Trick Member
Trick Member

26. PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

except that the sitar is an indian instrument. The closest egyptian equivalents sound nothing like it, to the trained ear. I play a sitar, and have been classically trained in indian music. It's not my fault that it sounds the same to you, but wrong is wrong, and ignorance isnt an excuse. Associating an indian instrument with egypt is like associating a Honda with a Hummer. Just because it has four wheels and drives does not make it the same.

And associating all indian music with pop crap like tunak (my personal opinion, not reflective of discussion at hand) is pretty lame. Much like associating all Americans with guns, or all american music with Puff Daddy.

Now then. Lets discuss some of the other tracks. bag is pretty solidly scottish in origin, what with the bagpipes and the flannels in the video, though the chanting bit at the end could easily be associated with any number of celtic new age styles. Sakura is the national song of japan, and the DDR/IIDX remix samples the original pretty heavily. This isnt really common knowledge, but most people should be able to figure it out. Sakura has been associated with japan in tons of games as well, for the non culturally inclined. Just look at Piston Honda in Punch out.

Tsugaru uses a Shamisen. Can't get more japanese than that.
Orion 78 and Matsuri Japan are both okinawan. I guess i'm wierd, cause it was pretty freakin' obvious to me the first time i heard them.

Afronovas i never questioned. I guess it is like Naoki songs and eurobeat. Its almost so obvious it hurts.

For me this thread is basically my explosive response to a misconception that has bugged the hell out of me for a long time. As an Indian, i have a different context than other people do, and this is just one place where i know that i am right without doubt. So it irks me to see contention and confusion in a place where it just shouldnt exist.
Gyan of Hell
Trick Member
Trick Member

27. PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
. The Orions are as close as Indian as you can get.

What? Orion.78 is Okanawan (Japanese). Or am I mistaken as to the song you're referring to?

Edit: I realized that just got posted. damn.
Trick Member
Trick Member

28. PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like it could be a indian tribal song but then again it came from Japan so ........

(sp) E2.gif

Trick Member
Trick Member

29. PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Worthless Comment] I know for sure Bag has scottish roots [/Worthless Comment]

E7.gif E1.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

30. PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k-strife wrote:
I think afronova is an african song... afr... africa... makes sense to me nerd.gif

I completely agree with you!
-Mystik-
Trick Member
Trick Member

31. PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elektro Tal wrote:
double you tee eff????

Are you guys just ignorant?

Exotic ethnic is played on sitars and tabla. thats indian.
Orions are played on shamisen with okinawan folk vocals, same with Matsuri Japan. thats japanese.
Afronova is played on african drums with tribal chants. that is central african.

Do you even know what egyptian music sounds like?

Next you're gonna say that the tamil song from popn' 9 (nataradin) is mongolian or something.

or that Bag is really a british pop song E13.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

32. PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elektro Tal wrote:
except that the sitar is an indian instrument. The closest egyptian equivalents sound nothing like it, to the trained ear. I play a sitar, and have been classically trained in indian music. It's not my fault that it sounds the same to you, but wrong is wrong, and ignorance isnt an excuse. Associating an indian instrument with egypt is like associating a Honda with a Hummer. Just because it has four wheels and drives does not make it the same.

And associating all indian music with pop crap like tunak (my personal opinion, not reflective of discussion at hand) is pretty lame. Much like associating all Americans with guns, or all american music with Puff Daddy.

Now then. Lets discuss some of the other tracks. bag is pretty solidly scottish in origin, what with the bagpipes and the flannels in the video, though the chanting bit at the end could easily be associated with any number of celtic new age styles. Sakura is the national song of japan, and the DDR/IIDX remix samples the original pretty heavily. This isnt really common knowledge, but most people should be able to figure it out. Sakura has been associated with japan in tons of games as well, for the non culturally inclined. Just look at Piston Honda in Punch out.

Tsugaru uses a Shamisen. Can't get more japanese than that.
Orion 78 and Matsuri Japan are both okinawan. I guess i'm wierd, cause it was pretty freakin' obvious to me the first time i heard them.

Afronovas i never questioned. I guess it is like Naoki songs and eurobeat. Its almost so obvious it hurts.

For me this thread is basically my explosive response to a misconception that has bugged the hell out of me for a long time. As an Indian, i have a different context than other people do, and this is just one place where i know that i am right without doubt. So it irks me to see contention and confusion in a place where it just shouldnt exist.

And what the hell normal person would know things like this?
Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, BUT, it takes only 4 muscles to extend your arm and b*tch-slap the mutha***** in the face.
-A 'message of the week' in my sister's college
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Trance Of Sorrow
Trick Member
Trick Member

33. PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Afronova is from like a African Indian song, it may well be a tribe I'm not sure myself. That's my guess.
redviper
Trick Member
Trick Member

34. PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the name AFROnova. Black guys have afros so I think that is a good enough excuse for me.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website Xbox Live Gamertag MSN Messenger
Trance Of Sorrow
Trick Member
Trick Member

35. PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redviper wrote:
Look at the name AFROnova. Black guys have afros so I think that is a good enough excuse for me.

Yeah, it could be....I was thinkin that too!! AFRO-Nova....
Trance Of Sorrow
Trick Member
Trick Member

36. PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redviper wrote:

Yeah, it could be....I was thinkin that too!! AFRO-Nova.... laugh.gif
SDSUMarcus01
Trick Member
Trick Member

37. PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well lets get one thing straight... RevenG's music is pop... it may use traditional ethnic instruments... but it's pop because RevenG also uses non-traditional instruments (mainly electronics).

Anyways... if we want to go into a discussion of the musical instruments used in each song... sure... but as long as we all understand it's pop E1.gif.

I just took a college course on music of the world and had to attend many concerts of the "Classical musics of the world" so I think I have some credability in the area... and I agree with Elektro Tal.

Afronova uses african instruments... no doubt about it. The drums are african (can't remember the names right now)... as well as the rhythms... and the vocalists sound African... and RevenG also mixes sound samples that aren't "traditionally african." I like african drumming a lot though. They usually have a bunch of people with percussion instruments and they all play a simple rhythm (usually a cowbell starts off and then a master drum leads the rest) but together they form extremely complex rhythms.

Exotic Ethnic uses Indian instruments. If they say it's themed after Egypt they're confusing a lot of things. If it *is* themed after Egypt, it's the melody, and the melody copies off hollywood's take on Egyptian music... which is essentially butchered middle eastern music (which is similar to indian music... but not very much). I'm not sure if the drone instrument is a sitar... but i'll trust Elektro Tal on it, and those ARE definately tabla drums.

Bag uses bagpipes... that's Scottish without question.

Onto Islamic "music." I was under the impression that many fundamentalists consider music to be a sin... and the famous "prayer music" isn't considred to be music since they are praising God... so with that I think Islamic "music" is an oxymoron... middle eastern music and islamic music are NOT the same thing.
Quazar
Trick Member
Trick Member

38. PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, maybe it's the way that Exotic Ethnic is played that makes is sound Egyptian.... that makes sense.

Re-venge isn't pop. pop = Michael Jackson and Britney Spears. It's more like tribal house..... kinda..... ok, it's just dance remixes of ethnic songs.... but not pop.

Quazar
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
nick.
Trick Member
Trick Member

39. PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think this thread developed into something larger than was intended.

I herad some parts of affronova that were used in the song at the Indian resturant, so, that led me to believe that maybe affronova originated from an indian song, becasue I assumed that affronova was taken from that song, nothing more, nothing less.

Remy wrote:
For what it's worth, the vocal sample you're referring to has been used in other music before.

That sounds most logical, I'll bet thats it
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: