Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

StepMania: The Manga

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Dogg
Administrator
Administrator

0. PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: StepMania: The Manga Reply with quote

In the strange but true department, we have this...

Prominent Japanese manga publisher Manga University has announced the upcoming launch of "StepMania: The Manga," an all-new original comic based on the wildly popular dance/rhythm video game. Made in consultation with the game's creator, Chris Danford, and written by up-and-coming Japanese manga artist Uno Shino, "StepMania: The Manga" follows the exploits of a brash high-schooler named Yukino as she is thrown headfirst into the world of StepMania by her best friend and veteran dancer Momo, who works at the local arcade.

"StepMania: The Manga" is a fast-paced mixture of humor, adventure and lots of dancing that is a must-read for manga fans and gamers alike. There are even a few game-related tips sprinkled through the story to get readers more involved in the game and its massive community.

Two pages of "StepMania: The Manga" will be released free of charge every week on http://www.stepmaniathemanga.com. Readers and fans are also invited to comment and offer feedback on the comic as it's being made!

Publication of “StepMania: The Manga” begins January 28th at
http://www.stepmaniathemanga.com

Manga University is Japan's leading publisher of English-language educational manga. The studio’s award-winning publications include the "Kanji de Manga" language-learning series; the critically acclaimed "Samurai Confidential" illustrated history book; fan favorites such as "Manga Moods," "Manga Sisters" and "Moe USA"; and "The Manga Cookbook," which has become one of the best-selling English-language Japanese cookbooks in the world.

For more information, visit http://www.mangauniversity.com
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this sounds really dumb
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is for real? Looks like 10k Commotion won't be the only DDR-themed comic from now on.

I'm looking forward to this. Anything to promote DDR is A-OK in my book.

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
shurf
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear I had a dream of something eerily similar to this a while back. Crazy idea, but I actually like it. I hope it turns out alright.

There better be Bemani jokes.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Sonick92
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There better be some Konami/RoXoR satire jokes.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Jouva
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno what's got me scratching my head more: StepMania The Manga, or the fact that people still use addslashes()/stripslashes() to this day
Suko
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over on the PNWBemani boards, a representative from MangaUniversity dropped in and said the following in regards to comments and questions we had been voicing in a thread:

"As far as the story, the characters in the manga play on a fictitious arcade version of StepMania as well as on their home PCs/hacked consoles and anywhere else you'd find it in real life. We hope that in letting the characters play in the arcades and at home will allow us to touch on more than just keyboard-play, and also get more manga fans outside the gaming community playing dancing games.

How we mention different songs/steps/difficulties in the manga is one of the aspects of the project that we are very excited about. When possible we'd like to feature original stepfiles and songs created by the StepMania/simfile community and feature their name and files in the issues where they are mentioned!"

Original thread:
http://www.pnwbemani.net/bemani-discussion/stepmania-the-manga-843/

DDRecall | Groovestats | Beatspace | UI Bemani Club | Suko's Shirt Shack
shurf
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Promoting user-made simfiles is a good idea. It shows the writer knows what's going on in the scene.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Xbox Live Gamertag
Valex
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think this is really dumb but I want to be in it
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool story bro
View users profile Send private message
Brace
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, I'll read it.
Sonick92
Trick Member
Trick Member

11. PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If simfiles and artists are gonna be mentioned. I doubt any hardcore(Basically ITG top tier) artist will be mentioned, since there will be a flood of FFR quality artists wanting a spot.

They're gonna have such a headache trying to touch base with the community. there are too many people with too many ideas that butt heads and they won't know what to do.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
srkelley
Basic Member
Basic Member

12. PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could always take the easy route of adding a hardcore character that prefers those types of artists. I haven't started the manga yet, but there's nothing stopping them from featuring each of the many types of players and the ways they like to play along with type of music that that type usually choose to experience.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> Headlines All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: