Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Stepmania Helping Me Improve?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razor LOL
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Stepmania Helping Me Improve? Reply with quote

I find it odd that I do significantly better in Stepmania than on my PS2 versions of DDR. For example, on Extreme 2 today I got over 110 greats on Cartoon Heroes, but immediately afterwards I did the same song on Stepmania and got 24 greats E11.gif. Plus I got only 14 greats for Sakura (compared to the 75 I got on Extreme 2)! How did this happen? Is it the timing? Placement of timing windows?

BTW, I use a "red-box" Ignition 3.0 for both PS2 and PC.
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the default timing windows on Stepmania are different from the PS2 DDR versions. Though from what Ive heard, the timing windows on CS DDR versions are so big you can fit a truck into them.

videoCWK wrote:
ITG can go beyond level 10? Woah...
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Kalek
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDR CS timing windows are big, but Judge 4 on StepMania is even bigger. I can AAA anything I play on Judge 4.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
[TCO] Patrick
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Yeah, I figured default on StepMania was pretty big, but I couldnt compare them to CS timings because I dont own any.

Speaking of StepMania timimgs....I put in the "DDR Extreme AC 60FPS" timings for my StepMania build, and it turns out these timings are stricter than any/most DDR Extreme AC Ive played on (not by a whole lot, but enough to be noticable). Not that its a bad thing. Just thought Id put that out there.

So actually, RevenG Survivor MAX...Stepmania may be causing you to believe youre doing better, when you may end up relaxing since youre doing so good. This can probably go so far as to say that when you step onto an Arcade machine, youre going to have possibly even lower scores than any of your CS scores.

videoCWK wrote:
Razor LOL
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalek wrote:
DDR CS timing windows are big, but Judge 4 on StepMania is even bigger. I can AAA anything I play on Judge 4.

Is there any specific judge I should put it on for the most arcade-like timing window?
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure if theres anything for the CS timing, but if you go into StepMania.ini (look for JudgeWindowSecond, thats where the timings should be), and find the timing window settings, you could replace them with these:

Code:
JudgeWindowScale=1.000000
JudgeWindowBooSeconds=0.133333
JudgeWindowGoodSeconds=0.083333
JudgeWindowGreatSeconds=0.066667
JudgeWindowMarvelousSeconds=0.016667
JudgeWindowOKSeconds=0.250000
JudgeWindowPerfectSeconds=0.033333

Those are what I believe are the closest arcade timings you can get for StepMania. (Timings created by kmoyGTI)

videoCWK wrote:
Kalek
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RevenG Survivor MAX wrote:
Kalek wrote:

Is there any specific judge I should put it on for the most arcade-like timing window?
You can either edit the Stepmania.ini to have the timing windows that the person above posted (thats what I have), or you can just put it on Judge 6, but thats more strict then the DDR Extreme AC timings. The ones posted above always felt less strict than the AC to me, but I also have better PA on keyboard than I do in the arcade.

Just a word of warning, you may actually do even worse on Stepmania than on DDR Extreme 2, since the timing would be a lot more strict. But, if you get good on these timings, you'll do well in the arcade, and have a lot of AAAs at home.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
[TCO] Patrick
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalek, you sure about the modded SM timings feeling less strict than DDR Extreme AC timings? It feels the complete opposite to me. At home, my average passing grade is a B, while at arcades on Extreme machines, I usually can FC and pass with an A or better.

videoCWK wrote:
Razor LOL
Trick Member
Trick Member

8. PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another reason I do bad on the CS versions is because I still need to play around with the timings (i currently have +3 for all of them), any suggestions?

EDIT: Never Mind, I just entered the numbers and it is definately more strict. Oh well, it gives me more practice with arcade timing biggrin.gif . I might not evr go back to console versions since I have downloaded just about everything I need from DDRUK.com (1st mix-8th mix, Festival, Party Collection, and 8th mix PS2) and I love it biggrin.gif . The only immediate trrouble I'm having is reading the stops in PARANOiA -Respect- and reading the 600bpm part in MAX. (period), they do sound really cool, though.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: