Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Music programs

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davyinatoga
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Music programs Reply with quote

What are some good programs to write actual music (not .dwi's or .sm's)? I'm thinking of getting Sibelius 4, as I like the Sibelius line and it'll o me well for a lot of different styles, but it's probably not going to give me the best in dance-type genres. So those who write their own songs to make stepfiles to, what are your recommendations?
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Fruity Loops was good.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
XOR-SYS
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DFNHA.randumb wrote:
I've heard Fruity Loops was good.

Fruity Loops 5 is your friend.

2MB = tomb?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Odyssey
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find MIDIsoft Studio 4 or so, you're a full-fledged musician. Multi-layer, controller-enabling MIDI program which allows you to click notes in or play them in with a keyboard.

9/10 of people who use this program with proficiency are music GODS/GODESSES. I'm in that 1/10, but that's another story.

Used to be Zoupzuop2. Now I'm not.

[2016] Came back to see what a huge weeb I was. loloops
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
XOR-SYS
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zoupzuop2 wrote:
If you can find MIDIsoft Studio 4 or so, you're a full-fledged musician. Multi-layer, controller-enabling MIDI program which allows you to click notes in or play them in with a keyboard.

9/10 of people who use this program with proficiency are music GODS/GODESSES. I'm in that 1/10, but that's another story.

How are you ever going to impress Midihead if you're a self-proclaimed 1/10? E15.gif

2MB = tomb?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Davyinatoga
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so those are for looping/sequencing and such, but what about actual composition/notation programs, like Sibelius, Finale, etc? I was planning on asking this question long before the Konami song contest, so don't think it's limited to just that. I've composed marches, suites, and other such non-dance songs, and I want access to those, too.
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although these aren't the best for all types of songs, you can try them out anyway, especially since you can create sheet music for the physical world and for easy recreation on another program, in the case that they aren't right for you:
"Finale NotePad" (free from www.finalemusic.com; use it to try out the interface, since it has small instrument selection, poor options and effects, and cannot save as mp3s or waves)
"Finale PrintMusic" (good, especially for costing $70 and not $600; try out the free, fully-functional 30-day demo; this is what I use, if you call what I do "using"; it has a decent instrument selection in the instrument list window under GM, it can save as an audio file, it can do your laundry, walk your dog, do your work in general, provide sustenance for millenia...it can record and import midi files for editing to great effect, it can support up to 24 staves, it has somewhat diverse playback styles, and etc.; it does not, however, have studio quality sounds, like the $600 version)

In summary, "Finale" is a relatively friendly composition program, but not the best for mad techno coolness, if you catch my drift (percussion is a bit difficult, most notably).

I've heard good DDR-type music from:
"Buzz" (some website, don't know off the top of my head, something having to do with some jeskola person, if that comes up in a search; it is free, however it is also very versatile, so get ready to spend some time learning how to use it)

Guaranteed hits:
"Fruity Loops" (Kyle Ward uses this, among other things, but it costs money, I think)

That's my say, although I am by no means an expert.
If you really want a good opinion, you can e-mail artists for DDR and ITG and SM. They are usually friendly people.

If you'd like to chat more about making music, or in my case, about making stuff that almost resembles music, e-mail me. I enjoy forcing my ideas on others and stealing any of their useful ideas "in return" just as much as the next guy.
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: