Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Bought a new usb keyboard and cant press 2-3 keys at once

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
channelx99
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Bought a new usb keyboard and cant press 2-3 keys at once Reply with quote

I just dropped $60 on a Saitek Eclipse keyboard and Ive been having a lot of trouble with it. I had a hard time getting windows to recognize it in the first place and had to point it to a bunch of windows and sp2 folders. Well I finally got it installed and now I have trouble pressing multiple keys at once. For example I can only press 2-3 arrow keys at once and if I try to press more than that down it wont register.

Is there a special driver I can download for usb keyboards that will fix this problem? Its annoying because I have certain programs that require many keys pressed simultaniously such as stepmania and all 4 arrow keys. Thanks for any help you can give me because Im really regretting spending so much on a keyboard thats inferrior to my cheap keyboard that came with my pc.
View users profile Send private message Send email
Laundry
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody (or at least I think) has this problem. My keyboard costed a LOT of money, but I can't do most hands.

EDIT: Seems you have a bigger problem. I thought it was just the arrow keys.
View users profile Send private message Send email Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kalek
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have any problems on my old HP keyboard. I haven't tried the arrow keys on my new one since I've recently changed my playing style.

These are both PS/2 though.
View users profile Send private message Send email AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xbskid
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the Saitek keyboards are nice to look at, it's quite typical of keyboard manufacturers to only allow the recognition of 2 to 3 simultaneous keypresses. If you want more (As in up to ~7), then I suggest you get a shiny IBM keyboard (Not sure about the USB one, but the PS/2 one should definitely give you up to 7 simultaneous keypresses). Enjoy.
View users profile Send private message
DoodieBody
Basic Member
Basic Member

4. PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, there is nothing you can do. To try and explain it, every keyboard works off of a "matrix." So, for example...think of it like a grid. The combination A1, B7 might register as the letter "K" for example. There are no diodes in most keyboards, which means the electricity is free to take any path it wants. When pushing 3 or more keys the keyboard can run into a problem of the electricity following a path that makes it look like you pushed a key that you didn't (if I had the time to draw a diagram it would explain it better). What you are experiencing is known as "blocking." The keyboard is preventing a phantom character from being registered.

Short answer...buy a new keyboard if it's really that big of an issue.
View users profile Send private message
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: