Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Stepmania-VI (Visually Impaired)

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. A
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Stepmania-VI (Visually Impaired) Reply with quote

I remember posting about this a long time ago, but I think it would be a cool idea to make a few tiny tweaks in Stepmania to create a seperate version so that blind or visually impaired people could DDR.

Simple, all you'd need to do is have a small tone or audio cue before each arrow that the player could recognise.
View users profile Send private message
Roasted Cracker
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know that could acutally work but it would sound annoying as hell to me. Visually Impaired people could play stepmania that way; it would be called bleepmania or something.
Mr. A
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be adjustable, it would start with actually spoken "up down up up" with a variable delay and a quiet feedback to indicate accuracy.

Eventually the player could change both the indication and feedback into a recognisable tone.

Very do-able. I think it would be cool as hell to design a physical DDR-like system that someone who is blind could use.
View users profile Send private message
2kM
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a slight advantage/disadvantage with that, however, as the person is not actually "seeing" the arrows line up and feeling the beat, but rather hitting the arrows in time to the bleep.

I would understand if this game was named something other than stepmania, but if its just stepmania with beeps, call it assist tick. E10.gif
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that between sounds to tell when to hit an arrow, sounds to indicate accuracy, and the music itself, it seems like you'd be dealing with more cues than you could handle (although I'm sure that the visually impaired have exceptional skills at separating sounds compared to the rest of us.)

It also seems like it wouldn't benefit that many people. How many visually impaired people do you know that want to play the game?
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJX wrote:
The problem is that between sounds to tell when to hit an arrow, sounds to indicate accuracy, and the music itself, it seems like you'd be dealing with more cues than you could handle (although I'm sure that the visually impaired have exceptional skills at separating sounds compared to the rest of us.)

It also seems like it wouldn't benefit that many people. How many visually impaired people do you know that want to play the game?

he hit the nail on the head, I agree it would be a hell of alot of work to benefit a handfull of people, its not like its a PROBLEM, ddr VI wouldnt be like the next best thing since the 'ramp' for handicap people.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
infamouspat
Basic Member
Basic Member

6. PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one thing...What about songs like the Max series and Outer Limits that go too fast to actually respond to sounds made by the arrows? Perhaps the blind could memorize patterns for higher BPM songs, but it would still seem unfair that they'd have to memorize.

I'm just curious, who here knows or is a blind person that is interested in DDR at all?
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: