Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Unix/Linux sim running on Mac OS X with Fink or X11?

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ni-ban Neko
Trick Member
Trick Member

0. PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Unix/Linux sim running on Mac OS X with Fink or X11? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a DDR simulator that runs on either Unix or Linux? I can't get pyDDR working on my system (after multiple reinstalls, and vigorous perusal of evn's FAQ), so I have two options. A.) I wait for Stepmania's OS X release, or B.) I get Fink and X11 up and running (something I've been meaning to do anyway) and see about a sim for Unix or Linux.

Any tips?
Snof
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also can't get pyDDR working on my system, which is odd. I have version 0.6.2 which works fine, but when I tried to use 0.7.0 it starts up then immediately exits before even opening a window. I have no idea what is causing this, I can't figure it out. I tried installing 0.7.0 on my mom's PowerBook and it worked no problem. Some random thing I've done to my computer prevents it from working (which is not that surprising considering all the things I install and mess with on my computer). So if you can find an older version it may work for you, though it would lack the nice features of the newest versions.

I managed to get CPD running under OSX once, but the timing was terrible. Then that project went into hibernation for a long time. And now it seems to be coming back, but there is nothing available for download yet. But it's worth keeping an eye on its progress.
http://cpd.sourceforge.net/

That's really it until StepMania for OSX is released. Of course you could try to get SM running on OSX yourself, but my attempts at that have all failed quite miserably.

Forunately it sounds like SM for OSX will be out relatively soon, the screen shots that were posted look nice.
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Ni-ban Neko
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem you are, only with 0.6.2 on my PowerBook. It acts like it wants to start - I even get the "Searching for songs" screen, then it quits. Only it doesn't quit completely - when I needed to trash it while trying to reinstall, I couldn't do so without rebooting. I got a "this program is being used and cannot be deleted" message when I tried to do it without a reboot. I followed both the photos and the instructions in MacAddict, then the instructions in the FAQ. No dice.

I think I'll just wait for Stepmania. E1.gif
Andreq
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know about WINE ? its a wincrap ... not emulator but... it can run lots of wincrap stuff. on unix/linux

I dont have link but search for it on google.... I dont have linux (dont really want it ....) but it look not really hard to run and understand (if oyu understand linux.. you understand that... )
Ni-ban Neko
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but that's okay. I'd rather not resort to a Windows emulator if I don't have to. They're resource hogs, and I imagine a sim would really drag if it was run on a Windows emulator.
Junkyard Angel
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten it to work with X11 (needs to be installed first.) Ignore the MacAddict article, follow the steps in the pyDDR Simulation FAQ exactly to get it up and running.
View users profile Send private message
Snof
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are interested there is now a working version of StepMania for OS X available in the files section on the StepMania Source Forge page. It works fine on my machine (G4 400, currently running Panther preview release).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/stepmania
Go to the files section, DL the OSX version (StepMania-CVS-20030707-OSX.tgz)
Uncompress it, mount the disc image, read the readme and follow it's instructions!
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger
Ni-ban Neko
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo-hoo! I'll install it when I get home, to let people know how it runs in Jaguar (PowerBook G4 867, 640 MB RAM. . . I *shouldn't* have any trouble.)
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: