Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

Post your suggestions for a new bemanisims site..
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJEmirzian
Roxor Staff
Roxor Staff

0. PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Post your suggestions for a new bemanisims site.. Reply with quote

I thought since the site was down and being recreated we could put together some suggestions that the site maintainers could take a look at and implement if the ideas sounded good enough.

1. Only host custom DWIs, don't host anything official (keep away leeches).. change the categorization into "Bemani (and Bemani remixes)" and "Other"

2. Add on to the ratings system so that you can vote for an author and leave a comment. Have a top ten DWI authors on the front page that you can click on to see their DWIs.

3. Make it so authors can only upload a total of 5 DWIs per day.

4. Give registered members an option to vote a terrible/ripped off DWI to be trashed.. if it reaches a certain number of votes, the administrator will be notified (or something like that)

5. If making a poor vote, (6 or below) must leave a comment.. and authors can't vote their own work

Matthew

Last edited by MJEmirzian on Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
G-Dragon
Trick Member
Trick Member

1. PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME THREAD IDEA. E1.gif

1. Do NOT allow the creator of the sim file to vote for his own work.. if possible.. its really silly.

2. A MESSAGE BOARD biggrin.gif (Make an Anti Arch0wl thread and sticky it!... I'm joking of course E13.gif)

3. DWI/SM files that have been made with no real effort should be terminated.. this cant be repeated enough.

That's about it.
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound like a Newgrounds with DWI/SM files, instead of Flash.
Trick Member
Trick Member

3. PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic Viper wrote:
Sound like a Newgrounds with DWI/SM files, instead of Flash.

Except its not the slowest site in the universe.
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::points to previous posts::
you said just about all the right suggestions. I hope its back up soon frown.gif
Another good idea would be to have d/l sections, like for DDR Arcade songs, IIDX songs, and then maybe Licensed songs. That would be convenient as well.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
Poochy
Trick Member
Trick Member

5. PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one thing, it would need to have a seperate section for spliced DDR songs. BemaniSims had way too many of them before the server crash.

I'm thinking there should be a few categories sections:
Spliced DDR songs - Self-explanatory.
From other Bemani - Songs from other Bemani that don't have official steps.
Hard DWI/SMs - Anything that deserves to be an 11-footer or higher.
Other - Stuff that doesn't completely fit into a category.

Don't make me mad, I know karate!
(Not to mention a bunch of other Japanese words.)
View users profile Send private message
Christian
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, thats what I just said in my previous post o_O
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
k//eternal
Trick Member
Trick Member

7. PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no problem with licensed songs, as long as they don't come with mp3s... Besides, .dwi files don't eat too many resources when people download them, considering they're so small... right?

I would post suggestions but I never actually saw the site when it was up...
proficiator
Basic Member
Basic Member

8. PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before it went out, didn't bemanisims institute some sort of reporting bad dwi's system? i thought that was a great idea in weeding out the really really worthless dwi's....

I agree with MJErmizan in that the official ones shouldn't be on there..I thought they really clogged things up erm.gif
View users profile Send private message
keith
Trick Member
Trick Member

9. PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Post your suggestions for a new bemanisims site.. Reply with quote

MJEmirzian wrote:
1. Only host custom DWIs, don't host anything official (keep away leeches).. change the categorization into "Bemani (and Bemani remixes)" and "Other"

With bemanisims.com and bemanistyle.com merging we are going to be hosting official files. Only the bemanisims/bemanistyle staff is going to be able to upload the official steps. Everything else will be original steps

Quote:
2. Add on to the ratings system so that you can vote for an author and leave a comment. Have a top ten DWI authors on the front page that you can click on to see their DWIs.

This is something that I wanted to do before but never had the time to do. It will probably be done in the next version

Quote:
3. Make it so authors can only upload a total of 5 DWIs per day.

I'll have to think about this and talk to a lot of people.

Quote:
4. Give registered members an option to vote a terrible/ripped off DWI to be trashed.. if it reaches a certain number of votes, the administrator will be notified (or something like that)

I have thought of a new voting system (read bemanisims.com). I might have two voting systems, I'm really not sure

Quote:
5. If making a poor vote, (6 or below) must leave a comment.. and authors can't vote their own work

See above

Quote:
2. A MESSAGE BOARD (Make an Anti Arch0wl thread and sticky it!... I'm joking of course )

Since we're merging with bemanistyle, there will be a forum. The forum and the sims part of the site will be combined

Quote:
DWI/SM files that have been made with no real effort should be terminated.. this cant be repeated enough.

I am planning on hiring a pretty large moderating staff. They will be voting on the sims, deleting sims, deleting comments, etc. For more info visit www.bemanisims.com

Quote:
Another good idea would be to have d/l sections, like for DDR Arcade songs, IIDX songs, and then maybe Licensed songs.

I tried to do this before in an update but it didn't work out well, it will probably be done in the next version.

Quote:
For one thing, it would need to have a seperate section for spliced DDR songs. BemaniSims had way too many of them before the server crash.

I'm thinking there should be a few categories sections:
Spliced DDR songs - Self-explanatory.
From other Bemani - Songs from other Bemani that don't have official steps.
Hard DWI/SMs - Anything that deserves to be an 11-footer or higher.
Other - Stuff that doesn't completely fit into a category.

I might possibly do this.

Quote:
before it went out, didn't bemanisims institute some sort of reporting bad dwi's system? i thought that was a great idea in weeding out the really really worthless dwi's....

That was something that I wanted to add but was didn't have to to. It will be added in the next version.

Thanks for all the feedback on what you guys want. Keep it coming.

Keith
Trick Member
Trick Member

10. PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have to remember that some people thrive on bad DWI's.

Who voted Strike On in the first bracket of the tournamix? Its got more votes than about 5 songs, didn't it? The simfile was probably made in 10 minutes.

Click Clock wood gets insane amounts of praise.. even the creator said it was buttocks.

Examples like this. I guess for a simfile to be deleted, it would have to be immesurably bad?

Or if a good comment is given to a hideous stepfile, the person can be deleted... >8D
Roxor Staff
Roxor Staff

11. PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about instead of having a front page with new DWIs, you can sort the front page by author.

Have a category for New Authors (1-5 songs total), Regular Contributors (20-something) up to Really Big Freaks (100+ songs).. whenever one of those authors uploads a new song, they get their name and the title of their new dwi on the front page, but each column is separate so that newbies can't flush out the serious authors who are trying to upload quality charts. Anyone attempting to spam a bunch of terrible charts will of course be deleted.

Often people will also upload DWIs that aren't theirs (even though they give credit to the author).. I don't know how you want to deal with this.

Matthew
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger MSN Messenger
keith
Trick Member
Trick Member

12. PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJEmirzian wrote:
How about instead of having a front page with new DWIs, you can sort the front page by author.

Have a category for New Authors (1-5 songs total), Regular Contributors (20-something) up to Really Big Freaks (100+ songs).. whenever one of those authors uploads a new song, they get their name and the title of their new dwi on the front page, but each column is separate so that newbies can't flush out the serious authors who are trying to upload quality charts. Anyone attempting to spam a bunch of terrible charts will of course be deleted.

Often people will also upload DWIs that aren't theirs (even though they give credit to the author).. I don't know how you want to deal with this.

Matthew

Thanks for the ideas about the authors Matthew, it might be something that I might do. I haven't really decided how I want to do the front page yet but I'll consider your idea.

As far as people uploading other DWIs: With the old site, I really didn't care. I think with the new site I am only going to allow the author of the simfile to upload there own. I had complaints from people every once in a while about others upload their sims. This way I wont have to worry about it. If some one doesn't want there sims on the site then they don't have to. I hope we don't have anyone like that because I would like bemanisims to become the most complete original simfile database.

Keith
Trick Member
Trick Member

13. PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to have a "difficulty pentagon" (there's probably a term for that thing, but you know what I'm talking about) generate automatically from each DWI so people can see what they're up against before they download? It's automatically generated in DDR sims, so it should be possible to make a script that does the same thing...
Phrekwenci
Administrator
Administrator

14. PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::X:: wrote:
Is there any way to have a "difficulty pentagon" (there's probably a term for that thing, but you know what I'm talking about) generate automatically from each DWI so people can see what they're up against before they download? It's automatically generated in DDR sims, so it should be possible to make a script that does the same thing...

Groove Meter... and that's a really good idea.
Trick Member
Trick Member

15. PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phrekwenci wrote:

Groove Meter... and that's a really good idea.

Actually it's not. It would take alot of bandwidth to send the image and the CPU time to generate it would be large, too. It would take up even more CPU time to find the DWI/SM file in the .ZIP and uncompress it. And then there's the issue of multiple step charts .. do you want it to generate groovedars for every step chart in the DWI? That would take even more CPU time/bandwidth. Let's not forget the chance of it bugging up and crashing the server. goog.gif

This might be feaseable if everyone had cable modems and Keith had a behemoth corporate network server for bemanisims. Unfortunately this isn't the case E10.gif
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
k//eternal
Trick Member
Trick Member

16. PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily. It could be organized so that each song would have a seperate download page (showing the Groove Meter) and there would be a main .dwi page where it just shows the name of the song and difficulty levels for each version linking to the download pages. Then you wouldn't need to generate Groove Meters for all the songs at the same time, and that would save some bandwidth.

But really, you don't need a particularly fancy Groove Meter... as long as it's functional. The script wouldn't have to be too complex, I imagine... in DWI the pentagon generates very rapidly, which leads me to believe it's a fairly simple process...

And as for the .zip file problem... it could be made so that you download each component seperately. Might make it more annoying for downloaders, but then that'd make them think twice about showing up and leeching all the songs, eating ridiculous amounts of bandwidth in the process.

Well, it's up to him, really... if he can do it, then that'd be nice, if not, oh well...
Udderdude
Trick Member
Trick Member

17. PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double-post, argh!

Last edited by Udderdude on Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total
Udderdude
Trick Member
Trick Member

18. PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily. It could be organized so that each song would have a seperate download page (showing the Groove Meter) and there would be a main .dwi page where it just shows the name of the song and difficulty levels for each version linking to the download pages. Then you wouldn't need to generate Groove Meters for all the songs at the same time, and that would save some bandwidth.

But really, you don't need a particularly fancy Groove Meter... as long as it's functional. The script wouldn't have to be too complex, I imagine... in DWI the pentagon generates very rapidly, which leads me to believe it's a fairly simple process...

And as for the .zip file problem... it could be made so that you download each component seperately. Might make it more annoying for downloaders, but then that'd make them think twice about showing up and leeching all the songs, eating ridiculous amounts of bandwidth in the process.

Well, it's up to him, really... if he can do it, then that'd be nice, if not, oh well...

The only way I can see it working is if the groovedar image is generated when the DWI is uploaded, and is saved somewhere to be re-used. It would still take up extra bandwidth, as well as extra file space, but it wouldn't need to be generated every page hit. It could be set so you have to click on a link to see the groovedar image, reducing bandwidth even more (not everyone will want to see the groovedar).

Your idea about splitting the files up is rediculous, of course E10.gif The groovedar does take some time to calculate .. it's not much but when you've got hundreds of people looking at the DWI pages it adds up quickly.
k//eternal
Trick Member
Trick Member

19. PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would hundreds of people be looking at the same DWI at the same time, though?

Well... maybe... I guess you have a point ^_-;
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: