Forums FAQForums FAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Login to check your private messagesLogin to check your private messages   LoginLogin 

EMS USB2 -- Not the usual problems, I promise

This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
75th Trombone
Basic Member
Basic Member

0. PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: EMS USB2 -- Not the usual problems, I promise Reply with quote

Howdy, all, I'm new 'round these parts, so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious; I searched the forums, read the FAQ, and didn't find the answer to my question.

I have a Dell Dimension 2 GHz, WinXP Pro, CobaltFlux pad and EMS USB2 adapter. When I run the driver program, it just goes through the file transfer and does NOT prompt me to insert my Win XP disc the way the instructions say to.

Usually when I plug in the adapter, I get a message saying it couldn't be installed. When I try to install manually through Device Manager, I get an error code 10, "Could not start device." Sometimes, seemingly at random, the install will work fine and I can use it. But after I restart I have to try a million things and reinstall the adapter. Does anyone know what's causing this and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks,
SFT
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website
75th Trombone
Basic Member
Basic Member

1. PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump,* with updated problem and new topic title..
Grimmi Meloni
Trick Member
Trick Member

2. PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonĀ“t have a solution for you, but just wanted to let you know, that my installation of the EMS did not make the system ask for the CD. I guess everything was already copied to the harddisk when installing XP. So, no need to worry about that. Your problems though are very strange. Did you already try different USB ports? My system has 6 of them on 3 USB controllers. If you did not try to switch, yet, maybe the controller you tried until now is broken? What about other USB devices in the system attached to that specific port? Any problems there, too?
75th Trombone
Basic Member
Basic Member

3. PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've tried different USB ports. Its behavior varies when I do that. Sometimes, it'll fail from the get go in each port. Sometimes, the first time I plug it into a port each session, it will attempt to install automatically, THEN fail.

Right now, I got it to work. I think I can't have it plugged in when I turn the computer on, or when I restart. If the first time I plug it in is AFTER I start the computer, it will fail, then I can install the drivers manually.

But between that, and the fact that I think the adapter is a little sluggish (like a 32nd note or so late), I may just get a BOOM adapter or something, unless someone figures out a solid way for this to work all the time.

Thanks,
SFT
TheSaint
Trick Member
Trick Member

4. PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having this problem last week, and I was able to fix it. What I did was I uninstalled the adapter under the device manager (it should have a little exclamation point next to it), unplugged the adapter, turned off the machine, waited a bit, turned it on again, reinstalled the adapter drivers, and then plugged the adapter back in. After doing so, I've had no problems since.

It may not work for you, but there you go. Hope it helps.
View users profile Send private message Send email
onlysublime
Basic Member
Basic Member

5. PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: EMS USB2 -- Not the usual problems, I promise Reply with quote

75th Trombone wrote:
Howdy, all, I'm new 'round these parts, so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious; I searched the forums, read the FAQ, and didn't find the answer to my question.

I have a Dell Dimension 2 GHz, WinXP Pro, CobaltFlux pad and EMS USB2 adapter. When I run the driver program, it just goes through the file transfer and does NOT prompt me to insert my Win XP disc the way the instructions say to.

Usually when I plug in the adapter, I get a message saying it couldn't be installed. When I try to install manually through Device Manager, I get an error code 10, "Could not start device." Sometimes, seemingly at random, the install will work fine and I can use it. But after I restart I have to try a million things and reinstall the adapter. Does anyone know what's causing this and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks,
SFT

I've installed it on four different PCs with different OS's (Win98SE, WinME, WinXP Home, WinXP Professional) and different processors (Athlon XP, PIII, PIV, PIV-M) with zero problems. And I'm using StepMania 3.0 Final and CVS (June 11 build).

Okay.

1. Do not have the EMS2USB adapter plugged into the USB port. Make sure the switch on the adapter is set to "PC."

2. Boot up the PC. I would suggest copying the contents of the floppy to the desktop (in a folder so your desktop isn't flooded). Run the setup.exe program. NOTE: this shouldn't be necessary on Windows XP, but it won't hurt either so do it even on Windows XP (and even if it did, that's why you have driver rollback and/or system restore). If you don't have the floppy or want to make sure you have the latest files, go to http://www.hkems.com/files/EMS%20USB%20JOYPAD2.zip and download the latest drivers.

3. After the setup.exe is done doing its thing, connect the pads to the EMS2USB adapter. Make sure the pads are COMPLETELY connected to the adapter (it's a tight fit so you might not realize it's not all the way on).

4. Connect the adapter to a USB port. Win9X platforms should detect it and list it as a game controller device. WinXP will use the generic HID device. You can go to Game Controllers in the Control Panel to see it in its working glory. NOTE: There are templates listed in the Control Panel for stuff like "Dance". Leave it at "Auto".

5. Launch StepMania (instructions for both 3.0 Final and CVS).

6. Make sure the Options|Input Options|Ignore Joy Axes is set to ON. Do this BEFORE configuring the pad for play. For some reason, the May 28 CVS build has this off by default. I think 3.0 Final has it on by default but make sure.

7. Configure the pad for play (Hit <Enter> and then step on the appropriate pad button). Set the six arrows and the Start and Select buttons (select should be your Back button).

8. Make sure you have Vsync set to on. You should always have this on (any gamer who plays a lot of shooters knows this) and people who say to turn it off have piss-slow machines and are trying to make up for lack of speed. Now, some monitors cannot do it, but you should have the monitor's refresh rate (what the Vsync is synching to) set to a multiple of 30 (i.e., 60, 90, 120). This will ensure that a wide variety of machines will be properly synched. However, the refresh rate isn't that important if you have a decently fast machine. THE ONLY TIME VSYNC SHOULD BE OFF IS FOR BENCHMARKING SYSTEMS.

9. Some people are having problems with the the device with regards to the USB interface. In the Device Manager Properties, check the "Disable USB Error Detection" box. This is found (may vary slightly on systems) under the properties for the host controller. If you have more than one controller, make sure it's set for each controller. Another issue is how some people's PC have their power management set on their USB ports. Some systems are so-called "intelligent" in that they cut off power to the port if they device is not in use. Well, the problem is that the device isn't turned back on properly when you actually need it (this is for those people who say the adapter works for awhile and then stops working, and then starts working again when the system is rebooted). So you need to set it so that the ports are always powered. This feature is really only useful in laptops and notebooks but most people who play on those (myself included, for DDR on TV) have it plugged into the wall anyways. Lastly, if you have a 3rd party motherboard chipset (SiS, Via, Nvidia, etc.), make sure you have the latest USB drivers.

10. If you plan on disconnecting the adapter from the PC a lot (i.e., you play on the laptop), you should do it after you shut down. Make sure you plug it in before you boot up the system. This way, the PC doesn't know that the device was ever removed from the system. Also, try to use the same USB port that you installed it on because each port can be mapped to a different controller. Technically, you shouldn't have to do any of this with USB because it's supposed to be hot-pluggable, but the implementation has been less than 100% rock-solid when it comes to game controllers and other devices so you should do this to be on the safe side. If you can get away without it, props to ya... And if you only use the controller for your dance pads, leave the pads connected to the adapter and only have the adapter-to-pc be the connecting part. The less times you put something on or off, the less chance of it wearing out...

RESULT: After all this you should have no lag and the device should be fully functional. Now, it seems all long and extreme. Some of these steps can be taken out of course, depending on how many problems you have. If you have zero problems doing what you're doing, then keep doing it that way.

NOTE: DO NOT USE JOY2KEY FOR DDR GAMING UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO. It will give a high probability of lag. Joy2key is a last resort for those pc games that won't recognize the playstation controllers properly and therefore works around that by mapping the joysticks to keyboard commands. Always try to use the adapter AS IS before installing some 3rd party app...
View users profile Send private message AOL Instant Messenger Yahoo Messenger
ps2freak
Trick Member
Trick Member

6. PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo, put the switch on the side of the adapter from "Game" to "PC" and reinstall it... this problem plagued me for hours, and I had the exact same problems as you... just put the switch to PC, and let it auto-install.

PS2Freak

You're a towel.
View users profile Send private message Visit posters website AOL Instant Messenger
This topic is locked you cannot edit posts or make replies    DDR Freak Forum Index -> DDR PC and Simulators All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: